Fishless Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am on day 14 of my cycle. It's a 55 gallon tank. It came with two packets of dechlorinator with bio spira in it so I used that, I kind of wish I hadn't now. After getting the tank set up I dosed it up to 4 ppm using the Ace Ammonia and after a few days it went down to 1 I'd say after about 5 days. I dosed it again up to 4 ppm and it just stays there. I had been sprinkling in finely crushed food since the beginning. I have done one 40 to 50% water change, raised the ammonia back to 4 ppm and added more food since then. Now on day 14 I'm a little baffled that the ammonia has stopped after watching it go down once. I'm wondering if the bio spira had caused that. I have not detected any nitrites at all. The PH is around 8. I'm using the Freshwater API master kit. Should I do another pwc and add more crushed flakes or just be patient and wait it out? I have no problem with being patient, I'm just confused with why I saw an ammonia drop and now I'm not seeing anything.

Laser said:
I am on day 14 of my cycle. It's a 55 gallon tank. It came with two packets of dechlorinator with bio spira in it so I used that, I kind of wish I hadn't now. After getting the tank set up I dosed it up to 4 ppm using the Ace Ammonia and after a few days it went down to 1 I'd say after about 5 days. I dosed it again up to 4 ppm and it just stays there. I had been sprinkling in finely crushed food since the beginning. I have done one 40 to 50% water change, raised the ammonia back to 4 ppm and added more food since then. Now on day 14 I'm a little baffled that the ammonia has stopped after watching it go down once. I'm wondering if the bio spira had caused that. I have not detected any nitrites at all. The PH is around 8. I'm using the Freshwater API master kit. Should I do another pwc and add more crushed flakes or just be patient and wait it out? I have no problem with being patient, I'm just confused with why I saw an ammonia drop and now I'm not seeing anything.

What's ur temperature? What's the other readings?

Temperature is 86, ph 8, ammonia 4, nitrites 0. I haven't done any other tests.

I'm still confused on how my ammonia initially went from 4 to 1 but no nitrites ever showed. I guess if I'm on the right track I'll just wait it out... maybe I'll do a pwc to lay my paranoia to rest.

Laser said:
I'm still confused on how my ammonia initially went from 4 to 1 but no nitrites ever showed. I guess if I'm on the right track I'll just wait it out... maybe I'll do a pwc to lay my paranoia to rest.

The bacteria ate it but haven't eat enuf to show up yet. Have u dosed it back to 4?

mine did the same thing! I was all excited because it all dissappeared at the beginning and then I had to wait for a while for things to start moving again. just hang in there.

What dechlorinator did the tank come with? What dechlorinator are you using now? What kind of water are you using? By now you should be seeing ammonia start dropping some. What's the temperature in the tank? Is the water flow from the filter causing splashing on the water and/or do you have an air stone (this helps create oxygen exchange which bacteria like; stagnant water can be an issue).

Sorry for the questions, just trying to make sure nothing is missing. ;)

Do a nitrate test! I'm curious if you have any reading on those at all. From my experience nitrites drop way faster than the ammonia. I think the bio-spira is what made your ammonia drop and may be nitrates already. Then I think this bacteria died for whatever reason. Bio-spira can be really good stuff.

What dechlorinator did the tank come with? What dechlorinator are you using now? What kind of water are you using? By now you should be seeing ammonia start dropping some. What's the temperature in the tank? Is the water flow from the filter causing splashing on the water and/or do you have an air stone (this helps create oxygen exchange which bacteria like; stagnant water can be an issue).

Sorry for the questions, just trying to make sure nothing is missing. ;)

Dechlorinator that came with the tank was some kind of tetra dechlorinator that removed both chlorine and chloramine and also had bio spira. I'm currently using a nutra-fin dechlorinator that removes both chlorine and chloramine. The temperature is 86. I do not have an air stone but the water level is down so that the filter creates enough splash to make bubbles.

Do a nitrate test! I'm curious if you have any reading on those at all. From my experience nitrites drop way faster than the ammonia. I think the bio-spira is what made your ammonia drop and may be nitrates already. Then I think this bacteria died for whatever reason. Bio-spira can be really good stuff.

The nitrAte test came out very slightly orange, but mostly yellow. I'd place it above 0 ppm, but not 5 ppm. I followed the instructions to the letter and now my arm hurts. I did perform a 40 % pwc this morning and sprinkled in a bit more food and dosed the ammonia back to 4 ppm. So there could have been more nitrates present. I think you may be right about the bio-spira causing the initial ammonia drop.

If you're doing a fish-less cycle, pwc's are not necessary as there is no need to take any harmful stuff out to keep fish safe. Just keep dosing and testing.

If you're doing a fish-less cycle, pwc's are not necessary as there is no need to take any harmful stuff out to keep fish safe. Just keep dosing and testing.

A PWC would be helpful to avoid a pH crash and if the readings are too high to read on the test chart. They may be unnecessary at some points, but not hurtful! :)

I suspect your ammonia to start dropping pretty soon... just stick with it!

Do you still have bio-spira left? Adding a little bit each day may help. Or may not. A lot of people are on the fence about bacteria in a bottle products.

A PWC would be helpful to avoid a pH crash and if the readings are too high to read on the test chart. They may be unnecessary at some points, but not hurtful! :)

I suspect your ammonia to start dropping pretty soon... just stick with it!

Do you still have bio-spira left? Adding a little bit each day may help. Or may not. A lot of people are on the fence about bacteria in a bottle products.

No, it's gone... I'm on the fence about it myself. I have been reading on the science behind it, but being a layman I'm not really convinced one way or the other.

Update: It's day 18 of the cycle and still no change. I added in a couple of air stones last weekend.

Ammonia - 4.0
Nitrites - 0
PH - ~8.3
Temp. - 86

Day 21 - Still no ammonia drop. If I have to hear my girlfriend ask me again if I tested and if the tank is ready I might lose it. Bacteria, if you're alive in there... give me a sign... anything.

Amm 4
NitrItes 0
ph 8.2
Temp 86

On Day 20 my Aqueon came from Amazon so I did a 40 percent water change to lay my paranoia to rest. I did not vaccum the gravel. Sprinkled in a small amount of finely crushed flakes. Re-dosed to ~ 4 ppm maybe more like 3.5.

This is just a suggestion but do you access to any cycled media (friend, lfs, etc)? This will speed things up. Many members have had success cycling their tanks using 'active' filters from Angelsplus. Just make sure you purchase a filter labeled 'active' or you are just buying a plain, new filter. Ill post the link below.

Second thing to consider here is your water. Is your water city or well water?

Sponge Filters for aquariums

Yes, what type of water source are you using? Does the dechlorinator you're using say it eliminates heavy metals as well? You should be seeing an ammonia drop by now.

Back
Top Bottom