Fishless Cycling Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm.... Your tank is not cooperating the second time around. Your probably not going to want to hear this but is there any possibility you can take the dw out until the cycle is complete? That seems to be the only factor here that is largely different than last time (and it's affect on your ph). And a water change. If Its not possible, we will just work with what you have now. So, drop dose to 2 & we will see how things look tomorrow.

Still thinking... Another idea would be to add a bit of buffer to your filter (and leave dw in tank). I am wondering if dw is having a bit too much of affect on your carbonate levels- your bb need carbonates to process ammonia & they seem to be having a hard time with even low doses of ammonia. Another option to consider here! :)

jlk said:
Hmm.... Your tank is not cooperating the second time around. Your probably not going to want to hear this but is there any possibility you can take the dw out until the cycle is complete? That seems to be the only factor here that is largely different than last time (and it's affect on your ph). And a water change. If Its not possible, we will just work with what you have now. So, drop dose to 2 & we will see how things look tomorrow.

Still thinking... Another idea would be to add a bit of buffer to your filter (and leave dw in tank). I am wondering if dw is having a bit too much of affect on your carbonate levels- your bb need carbonates to process ammonia & they seem to be having a hard time with even low doses of ammonia. Another option to consider here! :)

I can do either. I guess. I can take the drift wood out and do the water change tomorrow night.

Or.

What is this buffer your talking about adding to my filter ?? I don't know what that is

Adding a few spoons of crushed shell, crushed coral or argonite in a mesh bag/ piece pantyhose to your filter will help increase carbonates (buffers). It usually isn't necessary unless someone is seeing frequent ph crashes but this is the only factor (dw/ph) that's different than last time that seems to catch my attention. Granted, this may have zero effect and it just may be your tank being difficult this time but it's worth giving a try! :)

jlk said:
Adding a few spoons of crushed shell, crushed coral or argonite in a mesh bag/ piece pantyhose to your filter will help increase carbonates (buffers). It usually isn't necessary unless someone is seeing frequent ph crashes but this is the only factor (dw/ph) that's different than last time that seems to catch my attention. Granted, this may have zero effect and it just may be your tank being difficult this time but it's worth giving a try! :)

Ok tonight when I get home I'll take the driftwood out and do a 100% water change

Question for you JLK : I'm planning on taking the dw out when I get home tonight and doing a 100% water change. When my cycle is complete and I add the dw back to the tank. Do you think that it will still affect the ammonia from converting? And do you think I will still need to add the buffer? I don't really have any room in my filter to add anything else. Unless I was to take out some of the ceramic.

Once your cycled, you can add back the dw & see how things do for a few days before fish. Stocking at a normal level, your fish won't produce 4ppm (and not all at once either), so you should be fine. Let's see if removing the dw makes a difference first & we can go from there! :)

jlk said:
Once your cycled, you can add back the dw & see how things do for a few days before fish. Stocking at a normal level, your fish won't produce 4ppm (and not all at once either), so you should be fine. Let's see if removing the dw makes a difference first & we can go from there! :)

Ok thanks will do

JLK in assuming, go ahead and re dose to 3 ppm tonight ?

Ph: 8
Ammonia : 0
Nitrites : 0
Nitrates : 40-80

Ph 8.0
Ammonia .50
Nitrites : 0
Nitrates : 40

JLK. Should I just let it sit for tonight and re dose tomorrow ?

Back
Top Bottom