Fishless Cycling Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am so happy happy happy :) :)

Ph 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 80

Going to redose to 4 ppm

Hope for 3 more days of. Zeros. And boom baby fishy time :)

great! I have been following your thread lately to tell myself the end is in site for my own tank - lol.

pugmom said:
great! I have been following your thread lately to tell myself the end is in site for my own tank - lol.

Nice I wish you well. I'm glad I can see the light now. This **** tunnel was dark for a while. Lol

That's great!!!! I've got some cell service on lake but none in the woods... Look forward to seeing pics soon!!!! :)

Has it been soaking? Your dw seems to be be a bit problematic. If you have all zeroes again tomorrow & go ahead & put it back in before dosing. Lets see what happens! :)

jlk said:
Has it been soaking? Your dw seems to be be a bit problematic. If you have all zeroes again tomorrow & go ahead & put it back in before dosing. Lets see what happens! :)

I have all zeros again tonight. But my ph went down to 7.8. Can I wait for the final WC Tuesday night or do I have to do one tonight?

When I add my dw tomorrow am I just liking for zeros on tuesday? Are you thinking that if I add my dw that it won't zero out the following day?

Yes I have been soaking it in a Rubbermaid tub sense I took it out

You can wait on a water change for now unless you hit a snag (numbers don't zero or ph crashes into 6's). Hopefully, adding the dw won't cause an issue because your tank is decently established now. Just have to wait & see how things go! :)

jlk said:
You can wait on a water change for now unless you hit a snag (numbers don't zero or ph crashes into 6's). Hopefully, adding the dw won't cause an issue because your tank is decently established now. Just have to wait & see how things go! :)

Okay great thanks. Phew. Just what I wanted to hear. So if all zeros tomorrow I'll add the dw back. :)

Problem
Ph 7.4 - 7.6
Ammonia: .25
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates : 80-160

I think I need to do a WC to restore the buffers what do you think JLK ?

Your bb simply do not like the lower phs! You're not in a danger zone yet for ph so if you want to wait another day for a wc, that's fine. Just reduce the amm dose down to 3 so they are not overwhelmed. :)

jlk said:
Your bb simply do not like the lower phs! You're not in a danger zone yet for ph so if you want to wait another day for a wc, that's fine. Just reduce the amm dose down to 3 so they are not overwhelmed. :)

I was hoping that tomorrow's water change was going to be for prep for fish on Wednesday. What do you think about that ?

Is it still ok to add the dw tonight? Or do I have to wait

jlk said:

I can do the water change tonight if I have to

I think your fine to do your big wcs tomorrow & get fish weds. Your starting off with a light bioload rather than fully stocking at once (unless your plans have changed...) so your bb will be able to handle things without an issue.

Now, the dw.... I am honestly not 100% sure on how to approach this because it does lower your ph some (not a big deal) but it seemed to have a big effect on your bb. Your tank cycled pretty quickly once you removed it. So, assuming your going to be home for the rest of the week, lets try this. After your big wcs tomorrow to drop your nitrates down to your tap, add the dw. Check your ph weds morning just to see where its at. Then be religious about testing your water daily (or even twice daily) to make sure you do not see any spikes in ammonia/nitrite and that your ph is staying reasonably stable. Hopefully, there wont be any problems. Now if there is (toxins spike, ph crashes, etc), I would suggest removing the dw, do a wc & soak the dw again for a for a few more weeks. I am crossing my fingers that all goes smoothly!!! Sound like a plan? Its the best I can come with right now with all things considered though Ill do some more thinking on it anyway! :)

jlk said:
I think your fine to do your big wcs tomorrow & get fish weds. Your starting off with a light bioload rather than fully stocking at once (unless your plans have changed...) so your bb will be able to handle things without an issue.

Now, the dw.... I am honestly not 100% sure on how to approach this because it does lower your ph some (not a big deal) but it seemed to have a big effect on your bb. Your tank cycled pretty quickly once you removed it. So, assuming your going to be home for the rest of the week, lets try this. After your big wcs tomorrow to drop your nitrates down to your tap, add the dw. Check your ph weds morning just to see where its at. Then be religious about testing your water daily (or even twice daily) to make sure you do not see any spikes in ammonia/nitrite and that your ph is staying reasonably stable. Hopefully, there wont be any problems. Now if there is (toxins spike, ph crashes, etc), I would suggest removing the dw, do a wc & soak the dw again for a for a few more weeks. I am crossing my fingers that all goes smoothly!!! Sound like a plan? Its the best I can come with right now with all things considered though Ill do some more thinking on it anyway! :)

Thank you so much for all you help your the best!!! :) :) :)

Yes in going to start very light. I'm going to get my Cory cats first. Then on Sunday I was thing of getting my angle fish and probably the Bolivian rams. Not sure. But for a fact I'm not going to be fully stocking it. I was off work today I will go back to work tomorrow and we are off on Wednesday for independence day. Then back to work thur fri and sat. I will make it a point to check my water chemistry twice daily like you said. I'll do it in the morning before I go to work and when I get home. I'll keep you updated and post pics too. You have been so much help for me i greatly appreciate it. To bad you don't get paid for your knowledge in the cycling process of fresh water aquariums. I would definitely pay top dollar and spread the word that your the best. Again I can't thank you enough. I have learned a lot from you. :)

Thanks!!! My husband wishes I got paid for this.... lol! Keep us posted- I will be headed back into the woods on Weds through the weekend but I have some cell service in the daytime when Im not in the middle of absolute nowhere! Just make sure your tank is steadily stable before adding anyone new. Pictures are expected of your progress!! :)

jlk said:
Thanks!!! My husband wishes I got paid for this.... lol! Keep us posted- I will be headed back into the woods on Weds through the weekend but I have some cell service in the daytime when Im not in the middle of absolute nowhere! Just make sure your tank is steadily stable before adding anyone new. Pictures are expected of your progress!! :)

Lol I bet he does wish you got paid. ( your always on your phone!! At least that's what my wife says. Lol) I will make sure things are stable. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom