Fishless Cycling Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This hobby will teach you some patience (and just maybe to occasionally read directions...)! lol Let us know how your real numbers look! :)

jlk said:
This hobby will teach you some patience (and just maybe to occasionally read directions...)! lol Let us know how your real numbers look! :)

Hay hay hay now. I read directions. Just not all of it.

Just like my selective hearing. I bet your husband has that too. .. Lol :)

Test results
Tap water after about 18 hrs sitting
PH: 8.0
Amm: 0
NITRITE: 0
NITRATE: 5 ppm

Tank results
PH : 8.2
AMMONIA: 4 ppm
NITRITE: 0
NITRATE: 10-20. ????

What to make of this. ??

Help JLK. :)

Have a 60 gallon tank that im going to fish-less cycle here soon. Got a new baby that will be born here in two day so I have to wait a bit.
Question is : I have been doing a lot of research on fish-less cycling. If I'm right I am suppose to add ammonia to the water and wait for 1 hour and test it till I get a reading of 4 ppm. Test it every day till I get readings of nitrites and continue to dose to 4 ppm. Once I start seeing readings of nitrates then dose down to 2 ppm or ammonia. When my ammonia converts to to zero in a 24 hr period and have traces of nitrites and nitrates still, still dose 2 ppm. If nitrites spike do a water chance to get the numbers down. When readings of 0 in nitrites and ammonia and only have reading of nitrates. Then the cycle is done.

Am I right or not ?

Water changes prolong the cycle let the bacteria mature and they will do the work

Nothing to worry about right now! A bit odd for nitrates to be in your tank already but we will just wait & watch & see how things progress. And, yes, my husband has 'selective hearing', too! :)

jlk said:
Nothing to worry about right now! A bit odd for nitrates to be in your tank already but we will just wait & watch & see how things progress. And, yes, my husband has 'selective hearing', too! :)

Lol I knew it. We are MAN. LOL.

So do I just wait for ammonia to go down and test to see if nitrites are present then add to 4 ppm of ammonia

jlk said:

I was just thinking:
I added beneficial bacteria along with the water conditioner I have when I started the tank. Could this be the reason I have nitrates in the tank?

But isn't it also odd that I have nitrates in the tap water as well ?

Yep, now you just wait for the ammonia to start dropping. Once it hits 2ppm (or lower) add back enough to bring it up to 4ppm. When it starts to drop, you should start seeing nitrites as well. One day at time!

Nitrates in your tap is actually pretty typical. I dont know if your on well or city water, but theres quite a few us with nitrates (me included) that run anywhere from 5 to as high as 80+. 5ppm is fine!

Ok- I didnt know you added a bacteria product. That may have something to do with your numbers in your tank. Whether they actually work or not is debatable- some people swear by them, others (like myself) think they do nothing more than empty your wallet. Granted, I have never tried them & just stick to letting mother nature do her job. :)

jlk said:
Yep, now you just wait for the ammonia to start dropping. Once it hits 2ppm (or lower) add back enough to bring it up to 4ppm. When it starts to drop, you should start seeing nitrites as well. One day at time!

Nitrates in your tap is actually pretty typical. I dont know if your on well or city water, but theres quite a few us with nitrates (me included) that run anywhere from 5 to as high as 80+. 5ppm is fine!

Ok- I didnt know you added a bacteria product. That may have something to do with your numbers in your tank. Whether they actually work or not is debatable- some people swear by them, others (like myself) think they do nothing more than empty your wallet. Granted, I have never tried them & just stick to letting mother nature do her job. :)

I haven't added any more of the bacteria in a bottle. I've done lots of reading on the stuff. And also read that it's a waist of money. When I bought the bottle of conditioner at PetSmart it stated on the bottle to add the bacteria as well when doing water changes. Like I said I've stopped using it. But it's still in the tank. So oh we'll I guess.

Guess its time to just sit back and wait.

I will retest and post back tomorrow with the results.

Thank you jlk. For sticking with me. Your lots of help. Your expertise is appreciated.

JLK?

Is it ok to top off the water in the tank while in the cycle process? The water level is getting a little low.

jlk said:
Yep, perfectly fine! If theres any doubt about whats in your tap, condition it before adding it. :)

Ok great thanks. I will condition the water. Thank you. I'm might be getting more decorations for the tank tomorrow so I won't add any tonight. But for the future. Thanks a whole lot

Sense I've had the tank running I've noticed that the tank evaporates about 2.5 gallons in 2-3 weeks.

Once you fish, you will be doing weekly water changes anyway so there wont be a whole lot of time for water to evaporate. If it gets to be a nuisance, you can always get a fitted lid to help prevent evaporation. :)

Thats a great start! No need to add any more amm yet. lets wait for those numbers to drop down to a def lower number. :)

Back
Top Bottom