Fishless cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilmorem1410

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a fish less cycle about 11 days ago. Tank as follows:
70 gal freshwater
sand substrate
2 Malaysian driftwood and fake plants
couple river rocks
GH between 0-25
KH (off the chart) around 300ppm
PH 8.2
Running marineland 360 with carbon, seachem matrix and ceramic media.
water temp about 84 deg and running bubbler.

I dosed ammonia to about 3ppm 11 days ago. Now at 2ppm and still reading 0 nitrites. I tested Nitrates tho and they just tested at 30ppm. Wondering if that can be right? I thought you had to have Nitrites before you can have Nitrates. Wondering also why ammonia not going down. Have I done something wrong? Getting nervous about whole thing. Btw, I used Ace hardware 10% ammonia.

Did you use seeded material?

You may have gotten some nitrites, but they where turned to nitrates.

Also what test are you using?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ahhh, that makes sense. I did put small filter from my established 5 gal aquarium in with my filter media. Should I do anything at this point or should I continue to wait. I would figure my ammonia should be going down by now.

How many fish are in your 5 gallon and how many filets are on that tank?

Did you really shake nitrate bottle number 2 for at least 30 seconds and then the great tube for at least one minute?

just have 1 danio and had him for about 1 yr. Just have hang on filter with 1 filter.

Ok so your BB colony is only large enough to convert the ammonia and nitrite produced by that one fish.

Where is the danio now? You said you moved the filter from the 5 gallon tank to the 70 gallon, but nothing about the fish

He is still rocking it out in his 5 gal. I had been changing that filter every 3-4 months. Just read something recently tho saying prob shouldn't be replacing it that often.

just saw question about shaking bottle. Yes I did shake it like directions advised to do.

i took the filter media..the second one u posted. it is just an insert u slide in. it has carbon on one side and blue filter on other side. i put that in one of my 4 media baskets on the marineland 360. thought it might kickstart things, but not sure its working.

Alrighty then. it is working but only at the pace it was for removing the ammonia and nitrites from your danio, thats why it is taking so long. Give it some time, and things will speed up.

Thanks for help. I needed the assurance that things were working.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom