Fishless cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of those, a tiger barb would be best the choice if you want to finish the cycle with fish.

Do you know what your ph is?

I'll probably just wait and continue fishless.

PH out of the tap is 8.4. My water sucks. But with API Proper PH I was able to get it down. Yesterday when I checked it was 7.4.

Be careful, playing with your ph often causes more harm then good. Be sure to think about how you will avoid ph swings with water changes

Either way, keep an eye on nitrite. If it gets above 0.25 add aquarium salt or do a large water change. If using salt and it reaches 1.0 do a large(>50%) water change and re-add an appropriate amount of salt.

The salt helps detoxify nitrite.

I read about using a bit of raw shrimp to cycle a tank. As it decomposes it feeds ammonia constantly so there aren't the big ups and downs. If your ammonia eating bacteria are established your ammonia would stay at 0 and you can focus on watching the nitrite. I have also read nitrite can test at 0 but nitrates start showing. The window for testing nitrite can be narrow once those nitrifying bacteria kick in.

As to the amount of shrimp, think of a chunk about the size of a dead guppy.

Back
Top Bottom