Fishless cycling steps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainMako

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting a freshwater tank in several months, and doing everything I can to get all the information I can.
A link to my main thread if you can help with any current problems, I am posting a new question every time one gets answered: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...s-for-my-starter-tank-133109.html#post1147740

I just wanted to know what the general steps were for fishless cycling.
Assuming I've already dechlorinated the water and added it to the tank, it sounds like I would add ammonia based on how many gallons exist in the tank. From what I've read, this equation is 5 drops of ammonia for every 10 gallons, putting me at 15-20 gallons as I am looking at a 35-45 gallon tank. The first dose of ammonia is introduced with the filter turned on, and you wait an hour for it to circulate. Test it with whatever kit is necessary, and repeat this process of 5 drops and waiting 1 hour to test daily until you get nitrite readings. When you do, the equation becomes 3 drops for every 10 gallons, and this is also done daily until nitrate readings are registered. When this happens, you stop using ammonia altogether and perform a 30% water change (replacing it with dechlorinated water as well). This effectively ends the cycling process and fish are ready to be introduced to the tank.

Is this realistic, or should I undertake a completely different way for fishless cycling. I believe direct ammonia should be used, but are the steps really all that simple? One thing I am doubting is that you altogether change the amount of ammonia being used at the first sight of a nitrite reading, and stop altogether as soon as you read even the smallest nitrate reading. What do you guys do?

I have a 20g freshwater and a 30 salt. I used the fishless cycling you can find here at AA on my freshwater tank. Use the search button at the top of your screen and type in Fishless Cycling for dummies. That should take you to the link. It took my tank only two weeks to cycle but, again it was only a 20g. I know it will take you a lot less time using this method as long as you do everything and follow the directions to a "T".

You must use ammonia that has no additives. Shake the bottle in the store before you buy it and if it bubbles it's not pure ammonia. I found mine at True Value hardware store. Good luck. Keep us posted.

when i started my fishless cycle i tested the water 3-4hrs after the initial dose, i dont do 10tsp right away since i have a 20g high tank, i did it slowly until it reached 5ppm, i started with 5tsp, measured and calculated my way to 5ppm

just take it one week at a time, for now since its your first week just get 5ppm and than wait for it to drop to .25ppm or so, took me about 5-6 days for it to drop, so just wait it out'

dont plan for the future just yet cause i know you want to get the process down, but over thinking will drive you insane

Fishless cycling requires a lot of patience. Mine completed in just under 4 weeks. It took almost like 10 days for Ammonia to drop down to 0 ppm .

For me last step Nitrites to Nitrates took forever ( or at least felt so ).

I was tempted to use filter media from an established tank to speed up the process but was afraid of getting any unwanted stuff over.

Back
Top Bottom