Flat rock bottom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shanny

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Everyone,

I've been contemplating changing from fine gravel to round, flat rocks in my 37g tall tank. I have two fancies (Ryukin and Blue Oranda) in there. I noticed that when they are eating their food (sinking pellets) they are picking up gravel too. They spit out the gravel after a bit.

My tank has a kind of an oriental theme to it and I thought flat black rocks (2" diameter) would look nice in it.

Has anyone here tried this? Did it work ok? My concerns are the pellets sinking in between the rocks and the fish not being able to reach them and how can I make sure the rocks are safe to use in an aquarium?

I'd love any advice you can give!

:thanks:

I too would be concerned about food falling beteen the rocks. However, I've seen this in other tanks so this rock substrate can be done. Before you add the rocks to your tank, do the "vinegar test" - put a few drops of vinegar on the rock - if it fizzes, the rock contains calcium and you probably don't want to put it in as it will raise pH.

I too would be concerned about food falling beteen the rocks. However, I've seen this in other tanks so this rock substrate can be done. Before you add the rocks to your tank, do the "vinegar test" - put a few drops of vinegar on the rock - if it fizzes, the rock contains calcium and you probably don't want to put it in as it will raise pH.

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom