Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fluval Edge

A friend of mine is coming to me for advice on setting up a new tank in his home. Apart from all the usual advice about cycling etc I've given him the thing I don't know much about is the tank he's chosen - The Fluval Edge.

It seems to be a 23 litre (6 US gallon) tank, with integrated filter and a cube design so you can fill it all the way to the 'top', a concept I'm not familiar with as it was always my understanding that you needed a good surface area in any tank..

Despite my suggestions that for the same money you could get a much bigger tank or a much cheaper conventional tank, he's set on the Fluval Edge. Thankfully his stocking aspirations are modest, mostly focusing on Red Cherry Shrimp and a small shoal of fish probably Bororas Brigittae.

Can anyone offer any advice on this tank or things he should be aware of before he buys it and sets it up?

Thankfully he's going about things the right way by talking to experienced fish keepers and is talking about reading books on the subject before he starts.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Edge is an interesting tank. I looked at it for RCS, but it was much too expensive for my tastes. It's got an AquaClear filter. It looks like an AC20 or AC30, which is a good thing. The filter will take care of oxygenating the water.

My biggest concern was keeping it clean. I don't think I could get my arm in the tank to clean algae if needed.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i think i saw a guy using a mag float for acrylics on an edge one time... that should work to help keep it clean.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

somebody on here built a tank that looked alot like the edge... and a whole lot cheaper too. I think its a neat looking tank, but they do look to be a pain to clean and everything

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
somebody on here built a tank that looked alot like the edge... and a whole lot cheaper too. I think its a neat looking tank, but they do look to be a pain to clean and everything
I'd love to see that link if you run across it again! I agree that the Edge is way overpriced, but there's no denying the "cool factor". I think your friend can easily get away with a nano fish/shrimp tank. The most important thing IMO is going to be taking it slow.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...py-127119.html

btw, the title was edited after the thread was started... from first look it looks like I just didn't read the title

btw, on page 4, post #38, he details the cost, which was about $70

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluval, fluval edge, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com