Fluval Edge Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hubert90

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys, so im planning to buy a new aquarium for my betta! this time its just gonna be for him, only him! haha my last 10g was originally meant to be for betta only but somehow became a community! so im just curious if anyone here have any experience with this particular aquarium! im not sure and cant find the lighting specs! so if anyone can shed some light on that for me would be great!

heres where im gonna buy it! its pretty cheap and it delivers to aus!
Fluval Edge Aquarium

I don't know how well a fluval edge would work with a betta since they need to go to the surface to breathe from time to time.

I am in the process of tearing down my Fluval Chi, the filter just went out on it a few days ago. It's about a year old.

I don't know how well a fluval edge would work with a betta since they need to go to the surface to breathe from time to time.

I am in the process of tearing down my Fluval Chi, the filter just went out on it a few days ago. It's about a year old.

hmm can i just reduce the water level by 1 cm? and i always wondered can betta breath under water? o chi seems to be abit small for me. and i would like one with a powerful enough light to allow me to grow medium-low plants.

jetajockey said:
what about the fluval flora? Lowering the water level would kind of defeat the intended look of the edge, but i don't see why you couldn't.

Ya u are right. And I looked into that but I can't find one that delivers to australia. Do Betta need to breath via surface

hmm can i just reduce the water level by 1 cm? and i always wondered can betta breath under water? o chi seems to be abit small for me. and i would like one with a powerful enough light to allow me to grow medium-low plants.
yes,they do get some of there air from underwater,and some from the surface. as lon as there is an opening,it should work fine.

alLexX said:
yes,they do get some of there air from underwater,and some from the surface. as lon as there is an opening,it should work fine.

Alright. The opening is 4" by 4". I think it will be sufficient for my Betta. I'll probably sponge the Intake. To reduce the flow even more.

Alright. The opening is 4" by 4". I think it will be sufficient for my Betta. I'll probably sponge the Intake. To reduce the flow even more.
the betta should be able to figure that out.

I have one, and I've kept bettas in it. If you're worried about them not finding the top, you can always fill it not-quite to the top. I feel like the visual difference is minimal.

Catching fish out of it is the one thing that is really, really annoying, though they do sell a special Fluval Edge Net for $20 that is triangular. I've never been able to bring myself to shell out for it though.

Overall I like it!

Shadey said:
I have one, and I've kept bettas in it. If you're worried about them not finding the top, you can always fill it not-quite to the top. I feel like the visual difference is minimal.

Catching fish out of it is the one thing that is really, really annoying, though they do sell a special Fluval Edge Net for $20 that is triangular. I've never been able to bring myself to shell out for it though.

Overall I like it!

Hmm ok. Thanks for ur input. Glad to hear. How's the lighting system? Does it put out Alot of heat?

Oh! That's a good question.

Stock lighting kinda sucks... its got a yellow tinge to it, and it isnt very bright. You can google up a lot of people doing crazy lighting mods, cramming all kinds of homemade fixtures into the hood... but I bought some superbright LEDs that fit into the stock fixture, and they are a lot better than what it comes with.

I think it was these, or something very like them:
www.LEDwholesalers.com - MR16 240 Lumen 15 SMD LED Wide Angle Flood Light

It still counts as "low light" though... Im mostly growing crypts in it. And because the lighting is only in the middle, not across the whole top, its got kind of a spotlight effect, and it is difficult to light the corners.

My lights put out 0 heat... I think the stock lights heat up a bit, but I cant recall how badly.

If you check out the second thread in my sig, you can see the process of me setting up my Edge.

Shadey said:
Oh! That's a good question.

Stock lighting kinda sucks... its got a yellow tinge to it, and it isnt very bright. You can google up a lot of people doing crazy lighting mods, cramming all kinds of homemade fixtures into the hood... but I bought some superbright LEDs that fit into the stock fixture, and they are a lot better than what it comes with.

I think it was these, or something very like them:
www.LEDwholesalers.com - MR16 240 Lumen 15 SMD LED Wide Angle Flood Light

It still counts as "low light" though... Im mostly growing crypts in it. And because the lighting is only in the middle, not across the whole top, its got kind of a spotlight effect, and it is difficult to light the corners.

My lights put out 0 heat... I think the stock lights heat up a bit, but I cant recall how badly.

If you check out the second thread in my sig, you can see the process of me setting up my Edge.

O ok. Hmm ya that's what I didn't like about the edge. Cleaning will be a huge hassle too. But how about vacuuming the gravels?

Hello! I also have an edge. My old cory catfish was not able to search for the little opening at the top so I lowered the water level a bit for him. Don't be surprise if your betta freaks out because he cannot find the opening... It's a little scary to see that. Also be aware that if you do lower the water level the filter will be more on the louder side as the water will "splash" rather than "flow." Also cleaning it sucks. I really recommend getting the siphon built for the edge. It takes forever to shake the thing up and down to get the siphon started though. And a couple times mine got jammed so I had to run it through the bath (fully submerged.)

TotallyCoral said:
Hello! I also have an edge. My old cory catfish was not able to search for the little opening at the top so I lowered the water level a bit for him. Don't be surprise if your betta freaks out because he cannot find the opening... It's a little scary to see that. Also be aware that if you do lower the water level the filter will be more on the louder side as the water will "splash" rather than "flow." Also cleaning it sucks. I really recommend getting the siphon built for the edge. It takes forever to shake the thing up and down to get the siphon started though. And a couple times mine got jammed so I had to run it through the bath (fully submerged.)

Haha do u think if u slow down the current without reducing the water level will be sufficient because this will be for my bedroom and I don't want a noise tank.

Ya siphoning gets difficult sometimes I normal just create suction by sucking on the other end! Hmm fish water! Haha thanks for ya input

No problem! And sure, just be sure not to turn the current way low or else it'll create a drip drip drip noise that's really loud and annoying. I guess you could just try it without changing or lowering anything and see how your betta reacts. However if you do decide to lower the water level, the more you raise the current, the quieter it will get.

I tried sucking on the siphon but I guess it just doesn't work that way... It's such a pain for me. But it gets the job done so I can't complain... Haha.

Jetajockey. How did u find fluval chi! I may get that instead? Is the filter media flexible? Can I put my own media in? Hows the noise level? And what can u grow with the led lights!

Jetajockey. How did u find fluval chi! I may get that instead? Is the filter media flexible? Can I put my own media in? Hows the noise level? And what can u grow with the led lights!

I'm not jeta obviously, lol, but I can tell you about my Chi. I got it at Petco for $59.

As for filter media there's a little plastic door that swings open on the bottom of the filter and contains two square pads (one they claim is biological, and the other mechanical / carbon). I pulled both of the little filters it came with out, took an old piece of seeded mechanical filter pad and cut it into 4 strips so I could squeeze it into the filter area.

It runs virtually silent. You can somewhat hear the water trickling down the rocks if you listen closely.

As for plants and lighting, I managed to kill Water Sprite both planted, and the second time floating. You could probably find some plant to survive or mod the lighting...but my wife liked a lily pad decoration they make for it, so that's what we ended up going with. It actually should arrive in the mail today-
Fluval Chi Lily Pad and Plant Grass Aquarium Ornament | PetFoodDirect

Last edited:
eco23 said:
I'm not jeta obviously, lol, but I can tell you about my Chi. I got it at Petco for $59.

As for filter media there's a little plastic door that swings open on the bottom of the filter and contains two square pads (one they claim is biological, and the other mechanical / carbon). I pulled both of the little filters it came with out, took an old piece of seeded mechanical filter pad and cut it into 4 strips so I could squeeze it into the filter area.

It runs virtually silently. You can somewhat hear the water trickling down the rocks if you listen closely.

As for plants and lighting, I managed to kill Water Sprite both planted, and the second time floating. You could probably find some plant to survive or mod the lighting...but my wife liked a lily pad decoration they make for it, so that's what we ended up going with. It actually should arrive in the mail today-
Fluval Chi Lily Pad and Plant Grass Aquarium Ornament | PetFoodDirect

O thanks alot I think I am gonna go for it! This tank is way overdue! My Betta has being living in a box for the last month! Do u think I'll be able to use Seachem matrix, I don't think it will fit hey.

O thanks alot I think I am gonna go for it! This tank is way overdue! My Betta has being living in a box for the last month! Do u think I'll be able to use Seachem matrix, I don't think it will fit hey.

I don't know how big the granules are, but I'd think probably not. I know there's no way in the world I could have jammed my Flual Bio-max in there. There's definitely limited filter area.

eco23 said:
I don't know how big the granules are, but I'd think probably not. I know there's no way in the world I could have jammed my Flual Bio-max in there. There's definitely limited filter area.

Ah! If bio-Max can't fit. No way in **** matrix can fit.. Hmm The filter will be enough to handle a Betta though right? :D

Back
Top Bottom