Fluval Edge2 update & Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhhShea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello again,

Well my Fluval Edge 2 (12g/46L) finally finished fishless cycling after 5.5 weeks, last month. I went all the way downtown, to the "recommended" LFS and braved some higher prices for better quality fish stock. Which in retrospect was a good choice, as my fish appear to be healthy, active and seem to be happily adjusting to their new home. :fish2: :fish1:

Tank set up:
- Fluval Edge 2 (12g/46L)
- Stock aquaclear mini HOB filter
- stock LED lights
- 50w Fluval M submersible heater
- river rock substrate
- some natural river stones
- 2 fake rocks and 1 fake driftwood :oops:

Plants:
- 1 anubias nana
- 3 cyperus helferi
- Several bunches of star grass (7-8)
- 2 very tall java ferns
- 1 shorter java fern
- 1 fake plant :oops:

Fish & Inverts:
- 6 Neon Tetras
- 3 Julii corydoras cats
- 3 Ottocinclus
- 3 Assassin Snails - who refuse to hunt/feed on the ramshorn & pond snails that came in with the plants.

So the question is.... Do I have room for a couple more fish?

I would like to get a feature fish - something a little more special, that would peacefully exist with the existing community. Also it would have to adapt to the limited access to surface air, with the Edge's smaller opening. Perhaps either a Betta or maybe a Ramirezi cichlid - I've heard of both adjusting well to the Edge.

I also had toyed with the idea of adding a single Yoyo Loach, it's a nice looking fish and it wouldn't hurt if it made snacks of the pest-snails. But would the Yoyo also eat the Assassin snails? Okay so they are only interested in assassinating flake food & algae pellets, but I really do enjoy seeing them roam around the tank and it is fun to try and find them hiding out in the substrate - if the Yoyo went after them, I would skip that fish all together.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I might be able to safely add?

The owner of the reputable LFS said I could add a couple more fish without much problem... I'm just worried about overstocking.

Many thanks again! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom