Fluval FX5 media recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meviva

Aquarium Advice Regular
I will be setting up a Fluval FX5 on a 125 gal. half round aquarium next week. What types of media I should buy to get started?

Thanks!

Is it a new unit or a used one? I believe the new ones come with media. I've never used an Fx5 though but the other Fluval canister and the Ehiem I have both came with a lot of media already (usually sponges, carbon pad, floss pads, biomax).

It is a new one but the book says the media is not included. I haven't taken it out of the box yet in case it doesn't fit under the stand and I have to return it. The tank and stand are supposed to ship this Wednesday so I will find out then if it fits.

Hm, that's interesting. I did a search and you're right it seems it doesn't come with anything except the foam inserts. I'll let others with an Fx5 chime in with some recommendations. :)

I have a Fx5 and I rock pre-filter in the first row, then ceramic rings in the middle row, then filter floss in the top row. Also have carbon bags on stand by just in case and if i need to use them I just throw them on top of the filter floss on the first row. Hope this helps!

I've got 3 running currently with each tray stuffed with 2 boxes of Biomax, you'll need 5-6 boxes total. I also cut the downspout tube as this eliminates the problem with micro bubbles. Toss in a blue medium coarse pad on the bottom and call it a day.

Thanks for the replies. I went out and bought a bunch of stuff for the filter. Biomax, filter foam blocks, clear max, pre filter, zeo carb, fine filter pads and water polishing pads. Hopefully I have enough to start out. I have a question about carbon in a planted tank...Is is safe to use?

In my FX5 I have the foam inserts and the 3 trays filled with bio max. You will need 5-6 boxes as Hukit said. And use a coarse pad and he suggested as well in you want to use one. A polishing pad will become dirty to quick and become restrictive meaning you'll have to clean the filter more often. Get a HOB filter with floss for polishing.

Fill the top tray with filter floss, covered with a polishing pad(stop any loose floss clog the motor) and then top off with 1 or 2 100g bags of Seachem Purigen...
Enjoy the Beast!!!!

I have a pre-filter tray and 2 trays of biomax.

I would return the zeo-carb if you still can. I bought it too, and never ended up using it! Its still sitting under the aquarium in the stand...

The zeo-carb is good for controlling spikes in parameters, but it can clown your cycling. If you want something to help, but won't slow the cycle, I heard Purgien does both! I haven't used any myself, but I've heard nothing but good things.

I have a pre-filter tray and 2 trays of biomax.

I would return the zeo-carb if you still can. I bought it too, and never ended up using it! Its still sitting under the aquarium in the stand...

The zeo-carb is good for controlling spikes in parameters, but it can clown your cycling. If you want something to help, but won't slow the cycle, I heard Purgien does both! I haven't used any myself, but I've heard nothing but good things.
:agree: Every tank should have Purigen!!!!

Thank you all for the advice. I will look for the Purigen. I bought the Zeo-carb just in case of ammonia spikes....but I will return it when I find the Purigen. What about carbon use in a planted tank? The fluval paperwork states to be careful in planted tanks...why?

Back
Top Bottom