Four foot tank cycling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blatchy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, long time no visit just want to mention I have just purchased a four foot tank and it is currently cycling. Oh how I wish time would fly. Mum too is nagging "When can we add the fish?"....

The whole process occurred with mum suggesting we need a larger tank to house my mating guppies... yeah right... I'm actually looking into the Black Ghost Knife.

Has anyone had any problems with these fish before? I actually saw 2 x 3inch fish for around $25 au dollars. I have not really done much research on these but from what I have read many recommend not combining these with Neon Tetras etc. Mum wants a community tank so what would you recommend would be good tank companions for this fish?

All I need to do now is convince Mum neon Tetras will not give as much enjoyment as one of these. She wants the whole schooling "happy" tank image. I'm aware that these are not aggressive fish so it meets the criteria in that aspect.

Thanks for anyone replys in advance.

you know there r those who want things a little out the ordinary hope you find somthing to work for both of you, have you thought about trying just barbs, there r loads of species and they school. i'm not too sure how big the knife fishes mouth will get but barbs r pretty fast, and the big tank is better for them to swim away from the bigger fish!
tell us what your thoughts if you could. :idea:

BGK are lovely fish! You do need to be aware of a few things about them tho:

They top out around 2 feet long, and will eat anything they can get into their mouths, which includes small fish like neons. You'll need larger tankmates for this guy. I've read angels and discus can be good tankmates, although I have no personal experience with this.

They are pretty nocturnal and hate to be exposed. Provide a few caves for it to hide in so it feels secure (flip side is, you may not see much of it). They also don't like bright lights, so a planted tank is prob not a good idea for one of these guys unless you go with real low light plants.

They prefer a lower pH, although one as high as 7.5 is tolerated.

HTH!

Back
Top Bottom