freaking out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacie3972

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I've been fish in cycling a 50 gallon tank for what feels like and eternity now I've been keeping up with all my water changes and testing daily and 3 days ago I added a huge piece of driftwood to the tank. I was 4 weeks in to my nitrite stage and the day after I added the driftwood my nitrites dropped in half! Next day half again and today none! Here's my freak out question?
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 7.8
Nitrate 0
I did a 75 pwc yesterday and I checked my levels and had . 25 nitrite after then when I checked today 0. Does this mean cycled tank or I messed something up adding the wood. I'm worried that I don't have nitrates. Aren't those supposed to rise when nitrite falls?

Oh and my water is super cloudy! I assumed from the driftwood but could, it be a bloom of some kind?

I replied to your other thread but I"ll post here too. Adding wood won't mess up the cycle so no worries there. It's just possible that the .25 of nitrites were converted and it's such a small amount the nitrate test isn't picking them up. Since you just did a large water change it's hard to tell whether you're cycled or not yet (in your other post I thought the pwc was done 3 days ago, not yesterday). We'll just have to see if nitrites rise again. They were starting to fall prior to the water change so that's a good sign. I wouldn't worry about nitrates as the last large pwc probably just knocked them out. The cloudy water could be from the wood itself or from disturbing the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom