Fresh Water 337 Gallon tank, Blank Slate, need help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eagle Eyes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am a fish tank addict myself and am experienced with maintaining fish tanks.
We have had several fish tanks before including a 100 gallon tank that had several dozen fish in it ranging from the 2" catfish to striped zebra fish to hand sized angel fish ... just about all the prettiest fish at fish stores we could get in the tank. Never used any Co2 for the plants, and vacuumed the gravel for the water changes. We had the tank for over 5 years and all the fish lived healthy.

Then all of a sudden the tank got a crack in it and started leaking. We got worried that it would grow and the entire tank would shatter. So we gave the fish to friends. Put the gravel in buckets under the house ( Know it was important to keep along with the filters because it has the good bacteria and algae on it) and put all the fake plants away and the heaters ect. We destroyed the tank .... was no good.

Now several years later we want to start again. This time we are gonna go big or go home.

Here are the stats:
-Custom acrylic tank: 36" D by 30" W by 70" L = 337 gallons
- We have a Revers Osmosis also.

Not much else is planned other than we will probably use real plants and our old filters and gravel. We do have another tank 30 gall to act as filter tank before the water is pumped back into the tank (will go inside of fish tank stand). We were thinking about putting Discus in the tank but then I heard how hard it is to keep them alive. So what Do you guys think We should put in such a huge tank?

please post pictures if you can along with the name.

The tank is currently empty. We have a custom steel stand already built and pluming already in place in the walls for the Revers Osmosis (RO).

Also fish-less cycling or Fish-in ... This is a Blank Slate so I want to do everything the right way ... instead of putting everything on on the first day like I have done in the past :(

I will touch on the fish in vs fishless.

I have been back and forth regarding this subject. Ive been told 1,000 different things by different people. Personally, I will be doing a fish in cycle once I get back from Vacation. Fish In cycling allows you to put some fish in (make sure they are hardy) along with your plants, etc. I think its better as you aren't putting straight chemicals into the tank as you would with the fishless cycle. Also, i believe there are less water changes with a fish in cycle, thus creating less work for us busy bees.

As for fish, celestial pearl danios. So cool.

I believe it would be a beautiful discus tank. The key to discus is keeping the water pristine and almost perfect water parameters.

Personally with such a large tank I would do like the others have said and have tons of schools of small fish, live plants would rock! Following I want to see how this goes.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I believe it would be a beautiful discus tank. The key to discus is keeping the water pristine and almost perfect water parameters.

Personally with such a large tank I would do like the others have said and have tons of schools of small fish, live plants would rock! Following I want to see how this goes.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
hmmm if i went by the old rule 1" of fish for every gallon I could put 337 Striped danios..... But the thing is this Massive tank is the center piece of our
great room..... This tank is going into a house we are building and everything is custom and all the tubing was put in the walls before the sheet rock ... we want something to really make the tank pop but thanks for your suggestion

hmmm if i went by the old rule 1" of fish for every gallon I could put 337 Striped danios..... But the thing is this Massive tank is the center piece of our

great room..... This tank is going into a house we are building and everything is custom and all the tubing was put in the walls before the sheet rock ... we want something to really make the tank pop but thanks for your suggestion

I didn't mean all just danios lol. There's tons of types of tetras, there's African cichlids if you want real color but watch the aggression. Discus are still an option if you are willing to give them that high level of care. Or what's the width of the thank? Motoro Rays are big beauties!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Discus and 200 cardinals.. cycle with cardinals.. that tank is massive.. can't go wrong.. get some seeded media from your lfs. Filtration is my question??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Discus and 200 cardinals.. cycle with cardinals.. that tank is massive.. can't go wrong.. get some seeded media from your lfs. Filtration is my question??

Is their a tread on care for discus? also i'm wondering what kind of lights, heaters, filters ect , I will need?

I have heard that you can continuously pump the water from the tank into a smaller live 30g tank that has a couple of small crabs and plants then have it continuously pump it back into the main tank. as a form of filtering the tank. any thoughts?

Is their a tread on care for discus? also i'm wondering what kind of lights, heaters, filters ect , I will need?

I have heard that you can continuously pump the water from the tank into a smaller live 30g tank that has a bunch of craps and plants then have it continuously pump it back into the main tank. as a form of filtering the tank. any thoughts?

Many many.. they're not beginner fish though, no offense, i misjudged your level. You'll be needing to do quite a but if research to pull this off right. Craps and plants? You need a 75 gal sump minimum for that size tank I'd think??

Thanks Imacoolguy that websight has helped a bunch

Brookster123 that was a typo...... meant small crabs and plants.... I have only used filters like this one
pPETNA-5089892_main_t50.jpg

I words escaped me for a moment but your right what i was talking about was a sump filter.

Alright so we are planning on a sump filtration tank under the main tank.

Crabs will.be a much better sump worker than craps;) you may want to take this to "monster fish keepers" or the sw section.. i have 0 experience with a build of this magnitude.

Hey brooks, are you on MFK?
+1 on a sump. This size tank is definitely one for a sump.

Nope, I skim it from time to time but nothing to contribute really.

Umm, they have a section for regular tank owners too!
That place really shows what size tank some things NEED!

I don't feel I have much to contribute but still, it's worth it for the knowledge, or that's what I think anyway. Some people still need to know the basics over there but really it is one rung up the ladder! Also it's proof I'm not completely crazy! Some of those guys/gals are serious folks indeed! Err, something to aspire to. I have found that they are more keen on large builds, you know, like it's a great thing!

Umm, they have a section for regular tank owners too!
That place really shows what size tank some things NEED!

I don't feel I have much to contribute but still, it's worth it for the knowledge, or that's what I think anyway. Some people still need to know the basics over there but really it is one rung up the ladder! Also it's proof I'm not completely crazy! Some of those guys/gals are serious folks indeed! Err, something to aspire to. I have found that they are more keen on large builds, you know, like it's a great thing!

Precisely! Large builds.. not.like you're going to the lfs for the heate, filters and pumps needed for this build.. "I'll take 10 ac 110's please!"

:lol:
(yeah the enthusiasm for big stuff, ridiculous sometimes but, well I think it's a little bit of envy really, envy with love, I mean who wouldn't want a 50k G tank?)
:brows:

Ok, let's convince the OP!

GET A MONSTER!
:whistle:

This tank deserves it;)
:dance:

I do like the idea of a decent shoal of tetra though, but I'm biased, I love large shoals of fish. Great to see every day.

Back
Top Bottom