Fresh Water Fishless Cycle..???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenmaji

Aquarium Advice Addict
I personally would use and probably will use freeze dried fish food for my next cycle instead of fish. Im just wondering what others are using and if anyone had any ideas for things to use. pure ammonia I would think would work but were would you get such a chemical? the stuff they sell for cleaning usually has a sent added or something to cut down on the smell in general and I wouldnt want to use that. :infinity:

I've heard of many people using frozen food like shrimp to produce ammonia to kick start the establishment of nitrifying bacteria. Flake food is also used.

i used 1 raw shrimp from the grocery store...just throw it in there an let it be! to me is the easiest way...you dont have to be dosing ammonia all the time and stuff...the water stinks for a couple of days but other than that...no problem... :D

The pure ammonia has been found at Ace Hardware. You could probably find some at a decent Hardware store as well.

I used a raw shrimp from the fish market to help "kick start" my 75 gal (which had been seeded with eveything from soup to nuts from my 30 gal).

Patagonia didn't mention this...be prepared...lots of fungus covered, free floating shrimp pieces and the tank will look awful for awhile. :D

Did you guys test the amount of ammonia produced by these items that you used? Do you just need to get the level up to 3-5 ppm and then let the cycle take care of that amount or would you need to keep the level up for a longer period of time? :mrgreen:

wow...i didnt mention that because that didnt happen...hmmm...i guess im lucky? the shrimp was in one piece till the day i took it out...and after the first 2 days the smell and cloudiness were gone... :roll:

greenmagi said:
Did you guys test the amount of ammonia produced by these items that you used? Do you just need to get the level up to 3-5 ppm and then let the cycle take care of that amount or would you need to keep the level up for a longer period of time? :mrgreen:

Yep...had to constantly monitor the levels, although because I had seeded the tank, it didn't last more than a week and a half. I didn't need to get the NH3 level up so high. I used two shrimp since I didn't want to starve out my precious bacteria.

Mine was a mess due to the fact I had the filter on maxiumum and it tore the shrimp to pieces before I knew it. Temp was at 78-80d.

Of course I remember (or at least my chart does). After the 4th day I had the first indication of 0.50 and it only got to 1.5 as the highest until I couldn't read it again. Benefit of seeding the tank I guess. I immediately went out and put my serpaes in.

Bill, I just knew you were going to ask that. I had plants in the tank as well. I kinda figured the combination consumed the NH3 and NO2 very quickly. I just wanted until I got a NO3 reading, which was also low (never above 15pmm). :D

LOL.. Im that predictable huh.. :mrgreen: so did you test for NO2? or assumed that since you got a NO3 reading the NO2 was gone? sounds like you live dangerously..LOL. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

so you dont live so dangerously!!!LOL :mrgreen: That is odd though.. you skipped it.. who knew..LOL. you must have borrowed alot from the 30 gallon to make that happen.. at least half the surface area needed to cover your new filter and surfaces would get it done in a couple of days.. I dont have that option right now.. Im bone dry so to speak..LOL.
So how would this normally work.. like in my case.. do I get the ammonia up and then wait or maintain ammonia levels until the NO2 cycle kicks in?

Getting the NH3 up to 5ppm (no more) is essential for initial bacteria activation. Higher than that could stunt them. The same with the NO2.

PWC's are only necessary to keep levels in check.

Back
Top Bottom