Freshwater & Brackish Fish In The Same Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metalette

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just learned what a brackish tank is. I have what I thought was a freshwater tank, but I add aquarium salt to it, so does that mean it's a brackish tank? How much salt needs to be added for it to be considered brackish?

Also, I searched for a list of brackish fish and realized that some of the fish in my tank are considered brackish. Is it ok to have them in the same tank as freshwater or will some of them be unhealthy because they do not have the correct level of salt in the water?

I've had my 10g tank for about 8 months. 2 fiddler crabs, 1 guppy, 1 balloon molly, 1 tiger barb, and 1 fish that I don't know the name of. I'm posting another thread with a picture of it, I'm curious what it is, I don't recall what it said at the fish store.

Any advice will help, thanks in advance!! :)

adding aquarium salt doesnt make a tank brackish. you need to use marine salt like instant ocean.

it would be best to set up another tank for the fiddler crabs which i think are bw crabs.

For a Brackish tank to be set up correctly (salinity) you do need to add marine salt. The easiest and cheapest way to test this is with a hydrometer. A Brackish tank should be at about 16 PPT salinity or 1.011 Specific Gravity (apx 1 cup of Marine salt per 5 gallons of water).

I know that Brackish fish do not do as well in fresh water, especially as they get older and vise versa with Freshwater fish. You can find a lot of larger Scats and Mono's in full Marine tanks. I think it would be best to keep them separate. Either go full Brackish or keep it Freshwater.

Good luck with you tank and choice.

Some of the brackish fish that I have researched will do ok in fresh when they are young but will eventually need to become fully marine to thrive. They mono argentus being one example. They go to freshwater to spawn and the young work there way out to the ocean during thier life to eventually become a marine fish. In the long run they will not do well in fresh water. I believe some puffers are the same way.

Back
Top Bottom