Freshwater Angelfish, Discus and Tetras in a 60 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah E

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!

I'm getting a 60 Gallon tank next week. I'm planning/own a pair of Angelfish. Right now they're pretty small, a couple inches from tip to tip, as from tail to nose. I would also love to get a pair (or would one work?) of Discus to put in with them, as well as a few smaller Tetras... like maybe a small school of Rummynose tetras! I would be putting them in the same, 60 Gallon tank.

So I have a few questions.

1. Can I fit the angelfish and Discus in the same tank? I see people housing them with them all the time, but I don't want to over-crowd my tank. I can get a more powerful filter as well, right now I have one for a 75 Gallon tank.

2. If I can't fit both pairs... can I just have 1 discus?

Thank you very much!

Okay well the pair of angelfish and small tetras would be a bad idea. If your angelfish pair up, when they grow bigger they could get agressive twards the small tetras and eat them. I would get a bigger type of tetra

The Rummynose get up to 2". I just meant a small group as in 5 or so fish.. what's a normal "small school of fish" number?

Oh yay! I very happy that I can keep them all in my 60 gallon! Now to see if my lfs can get discus for me!

Most people would say to go with either angelfish or discus in that size tank, but not both. I keep mine in a tank twice that size, but I would put them in a 60 if I had one. I'm eventually going to add 2 more discus when I find another deal on them.

I've "heard" that discuss like to be in small school cause they have a pecking order although I've never had them.

Rummy tetras are big enough that the angels won't bother them try to put them in a school of 6 but 5 should be fine.

well, in most cases.........discus are kept in MIN. schools of 5.........It is best like this as they can then develop pecking order...........and also......there is far less aggression and stress as they will stick together and feel safer. And remember, if you get juvie discus, meaning discus under 3"........they will be needing frequent WCs.....meaning around 2-3 times a week at 30%.......

so... two discus together isnt enough? if i get three or four.... that would be to many for my 60 gallon tank... i dont remember how many gallons per hour it flowed.... something around fifty gallons an hour? around that number.

Normally no, people put them in groups of 4+ unless they are a breeding pair. I had more originally in my tank but a few randomly died, mostly from aggression between the group, so in the past months I've been left with 2.

Unless it's a breeding pair, I would get 5+ discus in with the tank.

I would do a nice school of eight rummies, the more you have the less stressed out they will be.

oh my emperor filter flows 400gallons per hour.

hmm... could i have four in a 60 gallon with two angels.

okay... in general, how many discus could i have, with my filter like that, with the two angel fosh, in a 60 gallon tank? i also want the rummies... but i think my heart is set more on the discus and angel fish. :)

IMO I would do a single angel, or a breeding pair, but watch out for aggression when they spawn. For discus, a nice shoal of five or six will do.

IMO I also think you could add a small school of rummies in there :)

since i have what i believe to be a breeding pair of angels, how many discus could i add to the aquarium?

It's your call honestly, it's kinda iffy. My pair is a terror in the 125 when they are spawning but the tank has enough room and plants to let the discus hide pretty well so they've never had an issue because of it.

Back
Top Bottom