Frogs or fish? who comes first

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jparratc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My son got a 10 gallon tank for christmas, we are getting some small tetras and he wants 2 african dwarf frogs. Are they compatable? And does it matter which one goes into aquarium first. Start with fish and introduce frogs later?
Thanks this is our first setup.

my local pet stores say they are not compatible cause they have heard of the frogs loosing legs to tetras...i have kept them together in my brothers tank....in a ten gallon that might be a little crowded..i would suggest an all adf tank that what i have they are much more active. but if you want fish i would get a male and 2 or 3 female guppies(i like fancys) and then when they have fry the frogs get a little treat...

if your set on tetras see if your son would want some sort of shrimp? there also entertaining to watch and can help you keep their enviroment clean

Some people do keep fish and frogs together successfully. I was advised not to do it by some fairly knowledgable people (including one who breeds adf). If you want to try it, just know that it may not work out. There are a few small tetras that do fine well in a 10g tank. I agree with bunzy that a few guppies would be a good idea. Neons are another option. Smaller fish like ember tetras sometimes get caught by the frogs. But male guppies are really fun and colorful, so they make GREAT kid's fish. :) You could either a trio of 1 male/2 females, or I actually suggest just getting all males and then you won't have any fry. :)

Back
Top Bottom