General advice please :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherryBarb123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so I have done loads of research and searching various species of fish over the past few weeks. As I have said in another couple of threads, I am interested in starting a 10-15 gallon set up. Many thoughts have gone through my mind including shell dwellers, a betta, rasboras etc.

Earlier on today I discovered the Hyalobagrus flavus (Golden whisker catfish, shadow catfish) which I have fallen in love with for some reason! I have read that they are sensitive, quite small and need groups of at least 6. Has anyone got any experiences or any knowledge of these fish? Are they rare?

So I have several other questions!!

Would Celestial Pearl danios (Galaxy Rasboras) be a good pick?

Could a Sparkling gourami live with CPDs?

Could shadow catfish also live with the above two species?

Would a 15 gallon (55L) be adequate for housing a small group of CPDs, a spakling gourami and 6 shadow catfish? That is is those fish are compatible

What would be some good plants for a dense set up of this size?

Has anyone got any other tips for setting up this tank? I have plenty of experience, but I am willing to listen to anyone else, as I know so many have years of experience. I have a 55 gallon, have had other tanks and know about cycling

Sorry that this is so long, and sorry about the number of questions!!

Thanks in advance

Some other folks will know more on the fish compatibility so I won't comment on that...

For plants, it depends greatly on your lighting. What kind of lighting does the setup have or will it have?

Shadow Catfish prefer soft acidic water...Check on the others if that is your main fish you want to build your tank around. Check out Pearl Gourami, 1 male (more colorful). Similar to the CPD in pattern! Good luck, it is so hard to keep a small tank cause you (I) want to put lots of awesome stuff in it. LOL

I thought a pearl gourami would be too big for a tank this size? Actually, instead of shadow catfish, could I get some small cories like panda cories?

If only I could have a 1000 gallon tank! Then it wouldn't be so hard, or maybe it would....lol!

Anyway, lighting......I will check....it will depend on the tank I get

Well others may know better, I suggested only one as a center piece with some little ones I understand it to be 10 gal min. I am seeing my fish guy today, I will talk with him about it.

The way I understand it you can keep one OR a bunch and a pair would probably be too much for the 15, although people keep them in pairs for breeding, in small tanks.

They are so beautiful, especially the male coloration. Sort of like keeping a Betta but you get to have some other fish too for variety!

I am going to get some, so I am working off research and theory, not experience yet. I will be bringing one home today if lfs has one I like in stock.

Maybe someone else can speak with actual experience. I would love to hear. :)

Thanks! I will go with a pearl gourami then :) I do like them :D

Could I also have a couple of ottos? Would this be pushing it?

1 Pearl Gourami
8 Celestial pearl danios
6 Panda cories
2-3 ottos

Would that be pushing it?

Thanks

I am a recovering over stocker, so I am a bad one to give advice on that. :whistle:

If you have a big filter and pay attention to your water quality..... ??? I check water parameters and I will do numerous pwc if I am over, now I am not, ahhhh.

I am REALLY trying to not be an over stocker!!!!!:angel:

I would do it maybe but add groups slowly with some time in between to build up the good bacteria. Also I piggyback the filter pads to always have a little more good bacteria, then only change one at a time and not very often, etc. and not at the same time as cleaning the tank. A big one, I am also a recovering over feeder!!! So I still feed often, but about half as much quantity, so those cute little begging fishes get the attention and interaction but much less rotting food waste (y)

Also I love Hikari (Gold) products, they keep water clear. I received a tub of Spectrum from a gal I bought a tank from and the fish really love it, has some garlic in it and they go crazy for it, but I noticed it caused some cloudiness, went back to Hikari daily and that as an :fish1:occasional treat and no hazy water!

These are some of the good ideas I have received over the last couple years since re-entering fish keeping. :fish2:

If you get a 10g, thats too much. I would definitely not put pearl gourami in a 10g tank. The only gouramis I would put in a 10g tank would be either sparkling, dwarf, or croaking. Personally, I wouldn't want to see a pearl gourami in anything under 20g. The cpd are fine in a 10g. I would go with a dwarf cory rather than a panda cory. I have 7 habrosus cories in my 10g tank and they are great. They are active, but have a smaller bioload and smaller space-need than pandas do. IME, 2 otos are ok in a 10g as long as you make sure they get enough food, but IMO 3 is too many.
Another thing to consider is that some nano fish like cpd are usually scared of larger fish and they typically do best with other nano fish.
I am not sure about the shadow cats, but I know Asian stone catfish would be ok in a 10g tank. They tend to be shy and sensitive though.

Thanks! I have found a 55 litre tank (around 15 gallons) at a decent price. From what you said, I guess that would be too small for a pearl gourami? Would the panda cories be ok in a tank that size? I like pygmies, but prefer panda cories :) So, If I were to get a 15 gallon, could I do:

A Centerpiece - Are there any suitable that are not gouramis?
8-10 x Celestial Pearl Danios
6 Pygmy cories or panda cories

Thanks for the advice

What is the footprint of the tank? Thats what will help decide if its ok for pandas for not. In general, I say a 20g is the minimum for pandas, but it could work if your footprint is big enough. However, nano fish typically do best with other nano fish. Usually its best to try to keep all your fish small or else some of the tiny ones can get too shy around the bigger ones. So, I suggest a dwarf cory variety with cpd, but pandas may be small enough to be ok.
For cp fish, you could look into scarlet badis or a couple of Endler's males.
Also, if you stick with nano fish, in addition to the cpd, you could get another small school like ember tetras or chili rasboras.

My "centerpiece" are Threadfin Rainbows. I have 2 pairs.
They live with CPDs and C habrosus.
Panda Cories can be very sensitive. My habrosus have been easier.
C. hastatus and pygmaeus are the other two "dwarf" Cories. Pygmy Cories are C pygmaeus ONLY. ( I hate common names causing confusion ).

A Pearl Gourami, I'd only add to a 30g or larger. But that's me.

Nano fish need lots of live plants. The more hiding space they have the more willing they are to come out, as long as there are no rowdy larger fish.
My nano group

I have CPDs with Pandas and they do fine together, but seeing how active the Pandas can be I don't know that I'd put them in anything smaller than a 20g.

Back
Top Bottom