German blue ram people!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jujubee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a question for you,
I have a 30 gal in the process of a fishless cycle. I don't want to add anything until the cycle is complete and after December. I really love german blue rams the only thing is my water is rather hard and the ph is a steady 7.6. I have read other forums of people having success with keeping rams and even breeding them in higher ph. Is this doable? Or would I be taking a rather big gamble?

I have an a medium sized drift wood with anubius and a few other super hardy low light plants, just one species and I completely forget the name of it. Half the tank is gravel and the other sand. There are also 2 floating moss balls. I do not currently have a working heater, a low light that came with the hood, I might take the hood off completely and get another coralife light bc I love it on my 20 gal! I have 1 rock as well, it's rather large. I also have an aqua clear 300. I'm considering adding another filter to the tank as well.

Any suggestions on how to better the environment for them would be great!
Thank you guys in advance

I have four of them in my tank where I live my water is hard and my ph is around 7.8, they are doing great ! However my tank temp is at 85, 86* yeah you should get a heater. But I wouldn't put a Gbr In a tank that's not well stablished. If I you I would wait. My two cents.

I completely agree, I wouldn't add a sensitive fish like that to a newly established tank. I was thinking a few chili rasbora once the tank is cycled. Then hatchets, rummy nose tetra, and the rams last.
I'm glad you responded! Thank you :)
I was a little worried I wouldn't be able to keep them healthy in those conditions but deff glad to hear you have

Most rams in the US are breed in neutral to hard water so you should be ok

You can try the Rams in your 20 gallon they should be ok. Just make sure you wait a few months for your tank to really get established before you add any Rams.

By the way did you say you had an Aquaclear 70/300 on your 20 gal? If so you absolutely do not need any more filtration. Adding another filter would be pretty pointless. AC70/300 is way more than enough for a 20 gal.

No silly i have a 30 gal with the aqua clear on it :) that's where I want my rams!
My 20 gal has 3 platy fry, I will be adding my 4 adult platys in there with them tomorrow.

I have the 30 specially for the rams and the other fish I plan to stock it with. Sorry if I was confusing!

No silly i have a 30 gal with the aqua clear on it :) that's where I want my rams!
My 20 gal has 3 platy fry, I will be adding my 4 adult platys in there with them tomorrow.

I have the 30 specially for the rams and the other fish I plan to stock it with. Sorry if I was confusing!

I used to have A pair of gbr in my 29 until they were jerks but that's another story haha. They were awesome though. I kept them with 10 rummynose tetras, a gold tiger pleco, leopoldi angel, spotted Raphael catfish and 2 bumbleebee catfish. Then they bred and destroyed my angel so they got rehomed lol.

That's one thing I'm a little worried about as well. Did aggression only show after breeding? I do know they protect their young but would rummy nose, hatchets, chili rasbora be a problem? I am considering shrimp for the tank as well but know its a risk haha I can always rehome them if it becomes an issue. (Bamboo shrimp, maybe cherry shrimp)
Again, deff taking it slow since I only have 3 tanks to work with if rehoming mishaps come about :O

That's one thing I'm a little worried about as well. Did aggression only show after breeding? I do know they protect their young but would rummy nose, hatchets, chili rasbora be a problem? I am considering shrimp for the tank as well but know its a risk haha I can always rehome them if it becomes an issue. (Bamboo shrimp, maybe cherry shrimp)
Again, deff taking it slow since I only have 3 tanks to work with if rehoming mishaps come about :O

I think you will be fine. Mine were just demons lol. Mine went after cherry shrimp I forgot were in the tank but I think a bamboo would do fine.

I think you will be fine. Mine were just demons lol. Mine went after cherry shrimp I forgot were in the tank but I think a bamboo would do fine.

When did you add then during your stocking? Some people say first some say last. I do plan them being the last and having juveniles so they can grow up with the other fish. Do you think maybe that would help their aggression stay at bay?

When did you add then during your stocking? Some people say first some say last. I do plan them being the last and having juveniles so they can grow up with the other fish. Do you think maybe that would help their aggression stay at bay?

I added them last and I'd definitely get young ones. I've never seen a pair as mean as mine. My angel was a good three times there size and was kept in a corner. They didn't bother my other fish though.

Hm I'm glad you put that out there. I guess not every nice fish ends up being nice :p I'm glad you solved the problem!

No problem they are a wonderful fish. Goes to show each and every fish has it's own personality! Think my angel is scarred for life haha. I say go for them once you have everything ready for them.

Here's a pic of one of my guy's, they are beautiful fish !

ForumRunner_20131206_162439.jpg

ForumRunner_20131206_162421.jpg

ForumRunner_20131206_162407.jpg

No problem they are a wonderful fish. Goes to show each and every fish has it's own personality! Think my angel is scarred for life haha. I say go for them once you have everything ready for them.

Thank you again! They deff keep me excited since it's a long process haha

Wait until your tank has been cycled for at least 4 months, 6 months is better. GBRs do better in an established system.

I will certainly keep this in mind. I'd be very sad going to get them and then losing them due to my mistakes. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom