German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
most people think theyre hard to keep. that isnt necessarily true. I got mine yesterday, and i just acclimated him carefully, watched him for awhile at the lfs, and hes amazing. they do prefer soft acidic water, and the reason people think theyre hard to keep is because they dont really know much about them i think. give them plenty of plant cover, a slw current, and watch bio wastes (nitrites, nitrates, ammonia) in particular. thats all there is to it IMO.

Sometimes they can work out great for some people, and other they are instantly floaters for others, even if you do everything right...they are definatly worth the risk though!!!

Depends on where you get yours from. Most LFS don't have the best conditions for them so they can get super sensitive very easily. If they're kept in a healthy, established, dead-free tank (which is where I got mine from) then they're a lot hardier than being kept in generic pet store conditions.

They also get a bad rap because they are injected with hormones at the breeders to make them look pretty before they properly mature. This is detrimental to the fish, and the often will croak because of it 1-2 months after getting them.

They are a challenge to keep, but not necessarily for experts. They can be an educational experience in water conditions for less-experienced fish keepers. I like to remember that their life expectancy in your tank will always be higher than in a poorly kept LFS tank.

What do you have to do to keep the water parameters good? My ph is like 6 somethin.

I don't recommend them to anyone.

If you've only had one for a day, or a week or two, or a month, then honestly that isn't much time to make a well rounded assessment about the species as a whole.

They can be very touchy fish, for reasons mentioned above, lots of weakened lines through selective breeding, etc.

They are definitely the most difficult fish I have kept and bred. That said, I dealt with EBRs/Gold variants so the german blue variant is likely to be more hardy in comparison.

I don't recommend them to anyone.

If you've only had one for a day, or a week or two, or a month, then honestly that isn't much time to make a well rounded assessment about the species as a whole.

They can be very touchy fish, for reasons mentioned above, lots of weakened lines through selective breeding, etc.

They are definitely the most difficult fish I have kept and bred. That said, I dealt with EBRs/Gold variants so the german blue variant is likely to be more hardy in comparison.
I thought they were pretty sweet lookin. What else could I get that is about the same size and peaceful? I might just get a really really awesome betta..

I dont mean to turn anyone away from them if they really like them, I just don't recommend them from personal experience.

This is my personal thought on rams as to sensitivity etc

Most sensitive to Least sensitive
-Electric blue
-Red (Gold)
-Gold
-Longfin variants
-German blue

I'd look into apistos, or bolivians. Some apistos can be just as touchy, though, but they don't have the reputation like rams do so that's promising, I don't have any personal experience with apistos yet, though.

ok thanks. Just trying to make my tank cool lol. on the bright side I can have shrimp with out gbrs!

+1 on Apistos and Bolivians.

HOWEVER

If you can't get them to 'stick', try getting them from either local breeders or private breeders online. Their stock is generally much less abused.

mr.waffles1842 said:
my female ram, jessica, just died :(. she was in QT with jon, and just died 20 minutes ago. hmm

How long had you had her? Sorry :/

I had two Blue rams that were perfectly fine for 2 weeks, then started acting lethargic and died one day after the other. Its true what people say about them, they die randomly after acting completely healthy for weeks.

Back
Top Bottom