Getting a 29 tall unexpectedly on Sunday!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
A neighbor is moving and I'm getting his 29g tall on Sunday. It comes with a Penguin filter (is that HOB?) and "lots of Platies". I found out about it off our community newsletter. I won't get a look at it until Sunday when I pick it up.

I am not keen on continuing the Platies line. I asker the owner how many were in there and he wasn't sure. He said there's "been like 30 generations in there" and "a catfish is in there, too". Hmmm. I may separate the genders and put one gender in my quarantine tank (yet to be set up) then move them to my 55g and leave the other in the 29g. After "30" generations they can't be that healthy. The catfish is a huge ????

The tank has gravel, so after I transport all the fish and filter media in the original water (and my tank-water-only bucket), I'm going to reserve some for seeding the same tank after wiping it out and putting in EC & black aquarium sand. I've never used the new-pantyhose-as-a media-bag trick before. But might as well give it a try!

The owner was rather vague about the occupants of the tank, but did make sure on the phone that I understood them and would take them and care for them. So maybe it won't be the mess I am expecting.

I'll be looking for ideas of what to do with the tank after I see what I have to work with.

This could be interesting.

Off to set up my QT. It's around 15g. I can't remember specifically what it is. I had it in my classroom last year. I have tons of plastic plants for it for now. Don't want to drop the money for real plants and wood etc. until I know what I'm doing long term. The substrate I like needs to go in right away, though. Too much of a pain to change that once the tank is occupied.

~ Sent with an unladen European swallow

The QT in all its not-set-up glory.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427316752.653271.jpg

I use the cooler on the left for more comfortable fish transport. The bucket is a dedicated to tank water only. No cleaning materials - never had it, never will! ;)
The desk was sitting in storage from my MIL's apartment when we cleaned it out. I think it's sturdy enough for a filled tank. I like that there is room below for the bin I keep my water changer and siphons in.

That bin was in that spot already - so it's not like I'm taking up more space with another tank. (Hope hubby buys this argument.)

I guess I'll use some of the extra filter I have running in my 55g to get the cycle going in the QT. Hopefully I don't cause a crash in the 55 by taking a little.

Advice?

The QT tank is 20"x17"x10". I think it is a 14g. Does that sound right?

Yikes! Going to need help here! The 12-15 Platies (full size to newborn) and I Cory (Emerald?) were kept in a tank that was kept "old style" - meaning the water was topped off but never actually changed.

I didn't check the water parameters of the old water beyond the TDS. It was almost 800! Isn't that for Chichlids? The tank is from someone nearby and our water is 170 out of the tap. So I decided to add the tank water the fish were transferred in to the tank. This brought the TDS of the new water up to around 270. So still a huge change for the fish.

The new Nitrate level is now at least 80ppm. My water is 5ppm or less. So the 30% old tank water brought the new whole up that high. I am tempted the change the water but I don't want to add to the extreme shock the poor things are experiencing.

I don't know if any of them are going to make it.

Help?

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

At first I thought oh yeah, new tank but that's kind of a mess, isn't it? Where are you at now with it?

Way off topic but did you know there are 2 really great auctions coming up in April?

I have the fish and the ginormous Anubis plant from the old tank moved into the QT tank now.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427671093.732491.jpg

Yes, that is ONE plant.

That's a java fern I believe, huge nonetheless

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a java fern I believe, huge nonetheless

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, I just went with what the previous owner said. I didn't look it up. I will now. I may use it in a Dwarf Puffer tank at some point. It's contaminated with MTS, so that would be ideal.

So I'm not sure what to do with these. Assorted size Platies. I was thinking of separating them by gender and putting one gender in my 55g (it only has 12 neons and 7 Longfin danios at the moment.), keeping the remaining gender in the QT they are in already, and using the new-to-me 29 gal. For a DP tank at some point. It's going downstairs after we move some furniture around. It also is covered in green algae so it needs a lot of scraping, most likely.

Sent via an unladen European Swallow

Back
Top Bottom