GETTING A FIFTY GALLON! :0 need advice, plant selection, stockng the tank, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan5359

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story short i have a ten gallon and I'm upgrading to a fifty in about a week or so. I want setup a nice planted tank like so many of you I'm sure have. I was thinking driftwood and a lot of like java moss and stones. For substrate I want to use sand. For whose going to be living in the theres going to be two angels and a red tail shark. What else do you think I should add? I wanted to get like a pair of striped plecos. I don't know what else. I'm looking for color and personality in the fish for the tank. They don't have to be like neon like those glofish but like not appaling to look at. Lol. And since ive never really had a planted tank, suggestions for like java moss? Or other plants. Lighting, etc. Thanks guys.

-Dylan

Are you wanting to do a low light planted tank, or higher light with pressurized co2? The moss will be fine in either setup, as would anubias and java fern and some others. IMO, amazon sword goes hand in hand with angels. Kerri tetras are gorgeous, I just ordered 12 from severum mama and HN1... They're great and really bring some nice color (blue) to the tank. Do you know what kind of angels you're planning on getting?

Angels I already have. There still 3 inches long. Thats why I needed to either upgrade or sell the Angels. There I believe triple black angel fish.

-Dylan

Tetras would be a decent addition, I'd get the ones that are already nearer their adult size though just to be safe.

There are always cory cats too. They're fun to have.

We have Boesemani rainbows...they're really high energy and bother nobody. Also recommended.

And my favorite, are our German blue rams. But, some people have no luck keeping them alive.

Im getting cory s in a different tank, plus the red tail will give them problems. I personally don't like tetras or any really small fish like that. I never had a ram I'll check that out.

-Dylan

Looking into dwarf gouramis. Never had them before, tips? Will they bother my angels?

-Dylan

In a 50G tank you have a good chance to add a gourami, if you have enough ornaments, or plants, or driftwood that allow the angels and the gourami to have their own territories should be fine.

I've got 2 red fire dwarf gouramis with 4 marble angels in a 60 gallon tank. They all seem to get along well. The biggest problem I have is actually the boesemani rainbows I have. One of them seems to always chase the other away. It will hang out with the australian rainbows I have though.

So 2 dwarf gouramis 2 angels 2 pleco s and 1 red tail shark would be okay?

-Dylan

Two plecos will be ok as long as your get a dwarf variety. Common plecos get much too large for a 50g.

Back
Top Bottom