getting another 30 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greater-Ajax

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, we have a 30 gallon tank sitting in our garage, And I was thinking about using it for fish again. But I need some ideas on what to do with it. I was thinking anything from gold fish, to a bunch of different fish, but I don't know, I need your help!

All it has is a basic hood and light, getting a filter and heater, as well as decorations, But I would like to know what I am putting in the tank before I get all the stuff.

So I personally think you should go tropical. You could only have about 1 goldfish in that tank.
For stocking I would do any of these:
Option one:
4 platies 1M 3F
4 guppies 1m 3f
6 panda Cories or Pygmy Cories
4 anamo shrimp

Option two:
4 guppies same rule above applies.
8 cardinal, neon, or chilli Rasboras
6 panda Cories or maybe sterbai Cories
10 red cherry shrimp

Option 3:
1 male dwarf gourami
1 bristle nose pleco
7 lemon tetra
5 cherry shrimp
6 neon tetra

Option four

2 pearl gourami
6 panda Cories
Any type of shrimp
A school of harlequin Rasboras

You can do a mix up of the lot just don't mix the Gouramis or too many of the schools :)

So, we have a 30 gallon tank sitting in our garage, And I was thinking about using it for fish again. But I need some ideas on what to do with it. I was thinking anything from gold fish, to a bunch of different fish, but I don't know, I need your help!

All it has is a basic hood and light, getting a filter and heater, as well as decorations, But I would like to know what I am putting in the tank before I get all the stuff.

I vote for goldfish!

Ok, I have goldfish, and I like goldfish, but...

1 to 2 fancy goldfish would nicely fill a 30 gallon. If you want large numbers of smaller fish, goldfish aren't the best choice -- but if you want one or two large colorful fish that fill the tank nicely all by themselves, I think goldfish are a fine option.

The variety of body styles, scale types, finnage, and coloration among fancy goldfish is, in my view, pretty impressive. Well cared-for, they can live for a decade plus, and sometimes a good bit longer -- so you'd have them for a nice long time.

Good luck in making your decision!

I vote for goldfish!

Ok, I have goldfish, and I like goldfish, but...

1 to 2 fancy goldfish would nicely fill a 30 gallon. If you want large numbers of smaller fish, goldfish aren't the best choice -- but if you want one or two large colorful fish that fill the tank nicely all by themselves, I think goldfish are a fine option.

The variety of body styles, scale types, finnage, and coloration among fancy goldfish is, in my view, pretty impressive. Well cared-for, they can live for a decade plus, and sometimes a good bit longer -- so you'd have them for a nice long time.

Good luck in making your decision!

Ya, but the downer was that I can't overly afford the amount of filtration I would like to give them.

So I personally think you should go tropical. You could only have about 1 goldfish in that tank.
For stocking I would do any of these:
Option one:
4 platies 1M 3F
4 guppies 1m 3f
6 panda Cories or Pygmy Cories
4 anamo shrimp

Option two:
4 guppies same rule above applies.
8 cardinal, neon, or chilli Rasboras
6 panda Cories or maybe sterbai Cories
10 red cherry shrimp

Option 3:
1 male dwarf gourami
1 bristle nose pleco
7 lemon tetra
5 cherry shrimp
6 neon tetra

Option four

2 pearl gourami
6 panda Cories
Any type of shrimp
A school of harlequin Rasboras

You can do a mix up of the lot just don't mix the Gouramis or too many of the schools :)

really like 1&2, will look into to see if I can get them here! we have a really limited amount of healthy fish available here.

Ya, but the downer was that I can't overly afford the amount of filtration I would like to give them.

That is a consideration. You might save a little of that due to goldfish, in most instances, not requiring heaters -- but you will likely spend more on the added filtration than you will save by foregoing the heater.

That said, if you get the fish when they are small you won't need the additional filtration immediately -- so if you would otherwise like goldfish and the cost of the additional filtration is the only thing stopping you, it is something that in my view you can safely postpone even if you can't completely avoid it.

Let us know what you decide!

So I think I am going to go with a community tank. Going to take the base Idea from Option 3 up there and looked at local stock... :

- 1 male dwarf gourami
- 1 common Pleco ( from one of my other tanks about 4inch.)
- 5 black/white skirt tetra ( depending what they have)
- 5 khuli loachs
- 5-7 black/normal/albino neon tetra ( depending what they have)

I may not be able to get the gourami since the LPS I go to ( witch is 40 min. away) only carries about 5-7 types of fish at a time, and I may not be able to order them in. So could we do something like 4-5 lamp eye tetra's? Or 4 platies to add colour?

Back
Top Bottom