Getting back into the hobby: Central American Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kibosh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have kept aquariums off and on since I was a child, but with the military and college I haven't had the space or time to really invest in a new tank.

Now I just bought a house and as I am settling in I would really like to start another one.

Here is what I have in mind:

75 Gallon Central American Cichlid Tank.

I want the spicy boyz, but I also want them to thrive and be happy and have space.

So these are the fish I am interested in:

Oscar (Astronotus ocellatus) I know not CA, but still a beautiful classic and can hang with the feistier CAC's
Texas cichlid (Hericthys cyanoguttatus)
Salvini cichlid (Nandopsis Salvini)
Jack Dempsey cichlid (Rocio octofasciatum)
Firemouth cichlid (Thorichthys meeki)

but I am open to suggestions. Sky is the limit.

My big question is how many of these fish can I put in a 75 gallon and what is the most favorable combo?

I know many of these are quite aggressive and require a lot of space, so I don't want to screw this up getting back into it.

I am thinking 1 Hericthys cyanoguttatus and two Thorichthys meeki, OR 1 Hericthys cyanoguttatus, 1 Nandopsis Salvini, and 1 Thorichthys meeki.

Thoughts? Could I add more then those three? Are any of those combos compatible?

Appreciate any help. Looked up past posts similar to this topic and they were not very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom