Getting closer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
My dad is working on making me a very sturdy stand for my 55g tomorrow... I can't wait :) I've got som PFS for substrate and some river rocks for decor... I'll probably be doing some work with him on the stand tomorrow and hopeful cleaning the sand and rocks as well... Any tips on how to sanitize larger natural rocks for a cichlid tank?? Is boiling ok or should I bleach ( very diluted) My dad also had some really awesome drift wood in his garden that I'm DYING to use. Would the drift wood be safe if prepped correctly ??? Any cleaning tips or ideas for me ??

Hi Flossie, you can boil rocks, I found the safest way was to put the rock in a pan with cold water and bring it to the boil, rather than put a cold rock into boiling water.

as long as the wood is dead and doesn't contain any sap it should be fine to use, soak it well and change the water when it's discolored for clean water, do that until the water stays clear, it should be ok to use then and should sink, you could scrub the surface of the wood with a hard brush to remove any loose material. good luck and keep us updated on progress. Have fun!!

Pete

I've heard horror stories about exploding rocks. That being said, I've always just given them a good rinse and plopped em in. If I was really concerned with sanitizing them, it'd probably be using the 1:20 bleach method.

The advice above for the driftwood is great. Much of the 'driftwood' that is seen for sale online in various places has probably never drifted anywhere. So if it's not sappy and a good hardwood it will likely be fine.

Also just wanted to say that it's great that you guys are spending time together, I did projects like this with my dad and it's one of the best memories that I like to think about.

So far just soakin and rinsing... Scrubbing with a clean toothbrush... Probably not going to boil since the rocks are sandstone. I'm trying not to use and chemicals

Attachments

• image-4019392597.jpg
    image-4019392597.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 59
  • image-2260542677.jpg
    image-2260542677.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom