Getting Frustrated! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewToFish1989

Aquarium Advice Activist
Been fishless cycling for about 3 weeks now and on the last stage and the last stage is majorly frustrating me :(

Last week my nitrite and nitrate was off the charts so did 2 50% water changes and got my nitrite down to 0.25ppm and nitrate down to 10-20ppm and added my ammonia back up to 4ppm.

Well 3 days have passed and my nitrite and nitrate are off the charts again! How am supposed to get the last stage done if its going off the charts so fast? I'm only dosing to 4ppm and no more than that.

Today's readings

18551451cd5c568ca5fc7a6dc465bc84db6acb88.jpg

Some help would be appreciated :banghead:

Been fishless cycling for about 3 weeks now and on the last stage and the last stage is majorly frustrating me :( Last week my nitrite and nitrate was off the charts so did 2 50% water changes and got my nitrite down to 0.25ppm and nitrate down to 10-20ppm and added my ammonia back up to 4ppm. Well 3 days have passed and my nitrite and nitrate are off the charts again! How am supposed to get the last stage done if its going off the charts so fast? I'm only dosing to 4ppm and no more than that. Today's readings Some help would be appreciated :banghead:
I usually only dose to 2 ppm. Unless you want to add a whole bunch of fish right away, which Isn't recommended anyways, then just dose to 2 ppm.

The nitrite>nitrate phase is the longest and most frustrating as these bacteria take longer to develop. As your pics are still showing ammonia as well as high nitrite, I suggest a big wc to drop your levels (preferably to zero) then just add a small amount of ammonia (.5-1ppm) and wait for your ammonia and nitrite to zero. Once they zero, increase the dose by .5ppm. And wait again. Once you see zeroes again, increase it by another .5. Continue to do this (gradually increase by .5ppm) until your tank is easily converting @4ppm within a 24hr period of time. Hope this helps!

Hi there newtofish, I am in about the same place you are in my fishless cycle (30 days). I had some advice given to me about testing the nitrAtes, because I was getting false readings and your reddish color is very similar to what I was getting. Make sure you shake bottle #2 for 2 minutes also after you add the drops from bottle #1 shake the test tube for a few seconds, then add the shaken drops from bottle #2.

I got totally different colors now shaking the #2 bottle longer and the test tube after adding drops from #1. Told these are more true reading for my timeline. (30 days no seeding) My nitrAtes are actually only at 5ppm where I got false readings of off the chart before.

Just wanted to add my experience so far...and yes patience are required..and cant find any here..lol

oh wanted to add..
30 gallon
ammonia .25 after 24 hours dosed to 2.5ppm
nitrItes over 5 ppm
nitrAtes 5 ppm
ph 7.8
temp 80 deg f

it will be soon...<<sigh>>

Back
Top Bottom