Getting My Sea Legs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheyCallMeEpic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I purchased my first aquarium on Sunday the 6th. It is a 55 gallon hexagon. This is because I'm in an apartment and don't have room for a big base tank. I originally wanted cichlids but research shows that I shouldn't do this with my tank's size and shape. For now I am going with mollies.

From what I have read mollies like to swim off the base of the tank and ill need that. They can breed easy which will help with restocking and they're colorful (something the wife to be demanded).

My final stock would look like this in a perfect world:

9 mollies (3 different types. 3 each)
2 angelfish
2 loaches
3 corries
2 red dwarf groms
2 kissing grooms.

Thoughts?

Well, first, loaches are a family of fish, and you'd need to know what type you're getting. Same with corys.

Second, the angels would be highly territorial. The gouramis would also be territorial while mating, and both would want the surface of the tank almost exclusively.

I understand the restrictions of space, but having a taller rather than longer tank makes you take things like that into consideration.

Well, first, loaches are a family of fish, and you'd need to know what type you're getting. Same with corys.

Second, the angels would be highly territorial. The gouramis would also be territorial while mating, and both would want the surface of the tank almost exclusively.

I understand the restrictions of space, but having a taller rather than longer tank makes you take things like that into consideration.

Firstly, thanks for the input. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

I suppose I could drop the groumies. Never was the biggest fan, they were for the girlfriend. What is a family fish? I have not found anything on what this means.

Hi and welcome! Your stock list sounds overstocked and conflicting to me. Have a look at Aqadvisor.com to get some ideas that will work for your tank. Also, here are some helpful articles. Good luck!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/new-tank-mistakes/

Thanks for the website aqadvice. Thats rather helpful. As for overstocking. My father has a 48 gallon tank with many more fish then this. Not that he is right, but i do not see any short term repercussions from having multiple fish. Are there long term issues that can occur?

The way I see it as overstocking is it is a tank with a small footprint and you have several fish occupying the same space i.e. gouramis and mollies and angels, cories and loaches. If the tank were the same gallons but more spread out, it might work. But I believe the plan you have would lead to stressed, unhealthy fish. You also picked a lot of heavy bio load fish- mollies, loaches. Then there's the fact that mollies breed like rabbits. JMHO.

Hey, if by family fish you mean schooling fish, then those are fish that like to stay in groups. I agree with the others about angels and gouramis conflicting, thats absolutely true. If you are looking for schooling fish, I think that tiger barbs would be nice, they are very colorful and active. I would say that a 55 gallon hex is pretty big for a first tank, are you sure you aren't biting off more than you can chew (no offense though)?

Hey, if by family fish you mean schooling fish, then those are fish that like to stay in groups. I agree with the others about angels and gouramis conflicting, thats absolutely true. If you are looking for schooling fish, I think that tiger barbs would be nice, they are very colorful and active. I would say that a 55 gallon hex is pretty big for a first tank, are you sure you aren't biting off more than you can chew (no offense though)?

Ive been around tanks for a long time. Ive helped my dad maintain his 210 gallon as well. Fish are the most simple of pets. Im sure i can manage, but thanks for the advice on the barbs. I hadnt even thought about barbs to this point

Sorry, I thought you meant you had never maintained an aquarium before. About the barbs, they are quite active in my opinion.

Family of fish. What I meant is that "loach" doesn't indicate a single particular fish, but a group of species.

Kuhli loaches are a far cry from clown loaches.

OOOHHHHHH........
Gotcha
And yes, there is a good 8 inches of size difference between clown and kuhli loaches.

TheyCallMeEpic said:
Ive been around tanks for a long time. Ive helped my dad maintain his 210 gallon as well. Fish are the most simple of pets. Im sure i can manage, but thanks for the advice on the barbs. I hadnt even thought about barbs to this point

Umm... Sorry to disagree but fish can be extremely difficult. With a dog, you just give them food and water, take them to the vet, and play with and groom them. With fish you have to check parameters, do water changes, medicate, feed, check for aggression, do headcounts(HARD in a planted tank), and a million other things.
On a different note, I want your 210 gallon lol!
The thing with having ours of gourami is that they will fight. In most tanks, you should only ever have 1 gourami.

Family of fish. What I meant is that "loach" doesn't indicate a single particular fish, but a group of species.

Kuhli loaches are a far cry from clown loaches.

So how would black kuhli loaches and angelicus botia work out? Neither gets over 6 inches

So I purchased my first aquarium on Sunday the 6th. It is a 55 gallon hexagon. This is because I'm in an apartment and don't have room for a big base tank. I originally wanted cichlids but research shows that I shouldn't do this with my tank's size and shape. For now I am going with mollies.

From what I have read mollies like to swim off the base of the tank and ill need that. They can breed easy which will help with restocking and they're colorful (something the wife to be demanded).

My final stock would look like this in a perfect world:

9 mollies (3 different types. 3 each)
2 angelfish
2 loaches
3 corries
2 red dwarf groms
2 kissing grooms.

Thoughts?

I measured the tank today to give a better understanding of the size. There are 6 12" sides making the length 24 inches at most and the height 25 inches (minus 1.5 for the rocks)

So my new tank will look something like this...
42 gallon hexagon. 6, 12 inch sides and 25 inches tall. The surface area of the bottom stretches to 24 inches in diameter.

For the top:
* 3 Molly 1m:2f
* 5 Giant Danio 1m:4f

For the middle:
* 2 Angelfish 1:1
* 5 Scissortail 1:4

For the Bottom
* 1 Rainbow Shark
* 5 Black Khuli Loach 1:5

There will be blants on top for the breeders to hide as well as plants and logs on the bottom. It usues a bottom filter as well as a 40 gallon filter on top. The bubblers are built into the tank. Git everything else like the heater and whatnot squared away.

What am i missing? Experts, inform me :)

I wouldn't do a shark in a 24" long tank.

The Giant Danios and Scissortail might be too large as adults (6"), maybe a smaller fish would be better. Oddly shaped tanks are hard to stock due to their odd dimensions. So you could do something like:

1 angel
6-8 of a smaller schooling fish, like zebra danio (there are many others)
5 khulis
2-3 molly

Back
Top Bottom