Getting overwhelmed w/fishless cycle info!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammybelle

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm reading lots of info about fishless cycling and differing opinions about if and how much ammo needs to be added at certain points, etc. and now I'm getting information overload! I started a fishless cycle in my new(bie) 55 gal tank yesterday. Put nearly 10cc ammo and got an initial reading of about 4ppm. (I am doing my cycling following the step-by-step cycling provided by a member here named Eric). I am not using any seed material from established tanks; I just put in an extremely tiny pinch of fish food into the filter compartment. I am not sure exactly how big or small this "pinch" should be? Also, how long should it take before I can expect a decrease in the ammonia level initially? Thanks in advance for entertaining my newbie questions!

I'm in the process of doing a fishless cycle myself, so i know if can be a little overwhelming at first. I was really nervous about doing one too, but once i got into it its actually pretty easy. Best way to learn is read all you can on the subject, there are a lot or really knowledgeable people on here who will be more than happy to help you.

follow this guide it has really helped me
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

and as far as dosing the ammonia here's a calculator, its on the bottom of the page. just put in what size tank you have

Calculator

go get some seeding material, your tank will cycle faster

Hi and welcome to AA!!! Definitely read the links mentioned and ask any & all questions you may have! Can I ask what type of ammonia you are using? 10cc (or mls) of 10% ammonia would be a bit of an overdose & would give you readings of 8+ppm. If the ammonia you are using is more dilute, then it should be fine. Fishless cycling takes some patience. It can up to 2wks before you start to see your amm start to drop. Once you start to see it drop daily to 2ppm (or lower), you will need to redose your amm accordingly to reach 4ppm. A pinch of crushed fish food is just that- what you can pinch between your fingers. Its probably the equivalent to 1/2 teaspoon. Some seeded media will def speed things along- if you are interested in ordering some, Ill post the link below for Angelsplus 'active' filters. Not necessary though, your tank will still cycle without it! Please ask ANY questions you may have! :)

Sponge Filters for aquariums

Quest 84, I'm using exactly both of those resources (The (almost) complete guide... and the calculator) you linked! Just under 10cc of Ace Hardware Janitorial Strength Ammonia gave me a reading of 4ppm of ammo. I used the calculator you linked to determine that amount of ammo to use. Although I have a 55 gal tank, I deducted a few gallons of volume to account for the sand and decorations I have. jlk, so I am ok with the 10ml ammo/4ppm reading, I was just wondering roughly how long it would take to see a decrease in the ammo reading. I think I'll hold tight for now, but if I begin to lose my patience, I'll def look into the Angelsplus 'active' filters or maybe even break down and ask my lfs for some seeding material. Thanks to you both!

welcome! I too am doing my first fishless cycle on my 90 gallon. I dosed the tank up the first day and it dropped the next day and then did it again a second time and I got really excited and thought this would be easier than I thought... and then I am just sitting and waiting. Never fear those little guys are growing I am sure! I am on day 12...

Oh, I do have another question. I started my cycle two days ago (1/31). Before I added the ammonia, I dechorinated/dechoramined the water with a product called Simple Start made by "Aquarium Products...from the makers of Genesis". I used this before I learned of and purchased Seachem Prime. The packaging said that the 3/4 oz. bottle treats up to 57 gallons, so I used the whole bottle. There's a lot of advice out there about "make sure you use a "good" dechlorinator", so I'm wondering if this no-name (?) brand will be effective. I want to make sure the water has been adequately dechlorinated before too many days pass and I find that bacteria haven't been able to survive because of poor dechorination. So my question is, is there any harm to adding in the proper dose of Seachem Prime at this point or would it be overkill? Thanks so much!

I tried googling the product you used & could not find any information on it. So, my best guess would be its ok to add a dose of prime if your concerned that the product you used may have not been sufficient. I actually use almost twice dose with no problems because I have a huge amount of chlorine in my tap water.

Here's another question related to the fishless cycling of my 55 gal tank: On Jan 31 I dechlorinated my tank with the above mentioned Simple Start. Then after adding enough ammonia to get a 4.0ppm ammo reading w/my API test kit, my ammo reading has remained at 4.0 ppm every since. On 2/6 (two days ago) I added in Seachem Prime just in case the Simple Start wasn't effective, and I was able to get some filter "seed" material, as I had read that this could "jump start" the cycle, even provide an "instant cycle" maybe, so with great anticipation I tested the water again 2/7 and just now on 2/8, only to find that my ammo reading is still pretty darn close to the original 4.0! I admit I am very anxious and impatient to be able to get some fish into there, so for now I just need someone to let me know if what is happening is typical time-wise or if I should have been making some progress by now. I have the temp up to 82 degrees, the water level is allowing my HOB filter to make sufficient bubbles as the incoming water hits the surface. I also added two live plants.

Also, I had read somewhere on this site, that every time you do a PWC or add in additional water from evaporation, that you should dose the Prime for the ENTIRE volume of tank water, not just the water you're adding--it seems to me that this would eventually end up with an overdose of Prime, wouldn't it?
Thanks in advance!

Here's another question related to the fishless cycling of my 55 gal tank: On Jan 31 I dechlorinated my tank with the above mentioned Simple Start. Then after adding enough ammonia to get a 4.0ppm ammo reading w/my API test kit, my ammo reading has remained at 4.0 ppm every since. On 2/6 (two days ago) I added in Seachem Prime just in case the Simple Start wasn't effective, and I was able to get some filter "seed" material, as I had read that this could "jump start" the cycle, even provide an "instant cycle" maybe, so with great anticipation I tested the water again 2/7 and just now on 2/8, only to find that my ammo reading is still pretty darn close to the original 4.0! I admit I am very anxious and impatient to be able to get some fish into there, so for now I just need someone to let me know if what is happening is typical time-wise or if I should have been making some progress by now. I have the temp up to 82 degrees, the water level is allowing my HOB filter to make sufficient bubbles as the incoming water hits the surface. I also added two live plants.

Also, I had read somewhere on this site, that every time you do a PWC or add in additional water from evaporation, that you should dose the Prime for the ENTIRE volume of tank water, not just the water you're adding--it seems to me that this would eventually end up with an overdose of Prime, wouldn't it?
Thanks in advance!

It can take about 2 weeks before you start seeing an ammonia drop; it can happen sooner but 2 weeks is the average. Just be sure you dose to 4 and not any higher as a high ammonia level can inhibit the cycle too. You'll also want to test PH just to see what it is and make sure it isn't too low (in the low 6's or under; anything else is fine). What I'd do is a 100% water change just to get some fresh water in there and restore the buffers and nutrients, wait 30 minutes, test ammonia and see where it is. If it's 2-4 then leave it (and if it is then that means you may have overdosed the first time :)) and if it's <2 then dose enough to get it back up to 2-4.

Add dechlorinator to the water too ; I'd use the Prime and skip the other stuff. When changing water you can dechlorinate two ways:

1. Add dechlorinator to the buckets prior to putting them into the tank and dose for the amount of water in the buckets (I believe for Prime it's 2 drops per gallon), then put the water in. Don't forget to try to match the temp of the new water to the tank water (feeling both with your hand is good).

2. If you're using a water changer that is attached to your faucet (or even if you're using buckets) you can drain the water then dose for the entire volume of the tank and put the dechlorinator in the tank, then refill with the water. Temp match the water too.

Either way would work.

Back
Top Bottom