Getting ready for a new tank - want opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NetBloke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Boy this forum has taken off since I last had my fish room. Since then I have moved across the country and gone without fish for almost 2 years. I had to leave my wonderful old set-up but am looking forward to setting up a new array of tanks.

This is where you all come in!

I scored a 22inch wide by 22 deep by 37 inch high tank. Very tall and sizeable. Does anyone have a volume calculator to work out how many gallons it holds?

I am thinking off going with a bio filter. Found this one at a local store. Does anyone have experience with this in a freshwater tank?

Also as it is a very tall tank does anyone have recommendations on fish and plants for it? I have ideas but why not ask the collective experts here first!

Thanks in advance!

Nathan

:wink: If you ever need more calculations: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/calcs_new.php

I have never used that filter. For my 80 gal, I have a Via Aqua canister filter that I like very much.

What kind of tank do you want? Fast and colorful? Calming? One big "centerpiece fish" and smaller supporting fish? Let us know what you want out of this tank and we can help you!

BTW~
[center:9b30e7eec8] :smilecolros: Welcome back to AA, NetBloke!! NOT-SO-:n00b: [/center:9b30e7eec8]

Thanks Managerie. I think I am going to go with some Cichlads. I had some electric blue ones that breed in my old setup. Gives me an excuse to get more tanks.

I also might go with more of a commmunity tank. With the surface area being small though maybe just a couple of big ones and some bottom dwellers would work best.

Again opinions appreciated!

Your tank seems to have a nice footprint, but many fish don't really care how deep the tank is. What if you got some archers, filled up the tank 2' deep or so, and left the top foot for some branches which you could seed with insects.

The filter looks nice, but the feature most touted on that site is its protein skimmer, which I believe are a SW thing. A skimmer will keep the top of a FW tank free of film. If following RogerMcAllen's suggestion above, you'll probably need to adapt the intake. You could purchase or DIY a skimmer for any canister filter: http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=41624&highlight=

I look forward to reading about your tank :)

I noticed that two. From what I read and what the guy in the store said they sure keep the water looking crystal clear, while keeping maintainence to a minimum.

We shall see. I think i may just get one becasue I have always wanted to try one!

Back
Top Bottom