Getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abraven21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just would like to know if your doing a fish in cycle tank, what is the right amont of fish to start with if your tank is 29 gals

I bought 5 danios as they were cheap but water changes are key I did a fish in cycle and it's hard work but it's worth it in the end

I was reading somewhere that you want 3-4 small fish per 10 gallons... So using that logic 9 or so? Personally fishless cycling is a TON easier though. Just buy a bottle of ammonia from Ace Hardware (costs around $2.60+tax) and syringe, use this calculator: Calculator to determine how much ammonia to add and you just test it everyday but otherwise you don't have to do much.

A complete article on it is here: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Just make sure you drop your ammonia dosing to 2ppm instead of 4ppm once Nitrites start to appear otherwise you run the risk of stalling your cycle.

Of course if you already have fish, then you are stuck doing it the old fashion way, but from experience this new method will save you so much time, money, and frustration in the long run that it isn't even funny.

Good luck with your new tank!

I was reading somewhere that you want 3-4 small fish per 10 gallons... So using that logic 9 or so? Personally fishless cycling is a TON easier though. Just buy a bottle of ammonia from Ace Hardware (costs around $2.60+tax) and syringe, use this calculator: Calculator to determine how much ammonia to add and you just test it everyday but otherwise you don't have to do much.

A complete article on it is here: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Just make sure you drop your ammonia dosing to 2ppm instead of 4ppm once Nitrites start to appear otherwise you run the risk of stalling your cycle.

Of course if you already have fish, then you are stuck doing it the old fashion way, but from experience this new method will save you so much time, money, and frustration in the long run that it isn't even funny.

Good luck with your new tank!

I totally agree if I had to start again I would defiantly do a fish less cycle I think I was doing a 50% water change every day it's very time consuming

I did get fish already so really being stuck the old fashion way, I have 2 platys already and seem like my ammonia isn't even building up

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So um guessing I don't have enough fish to even start a cycle plus I didn't get any live plants and hear that they make ammonia too

You can buy quick start that you put in your tank it says that it instantly cycles but I ain't sure if it works, not sure why you don't have any ammo in your tank because I thought tap water naturally had it in, how long have you had fish in and how long has it been set up?

I was reading somewhere that you want 3-4 small fish per 10 gallons

There is ONE person on this forum who advocates this many fish and I am 100% certain this is where you read it, but most of us strongly disagree (sometimes quite vocally) with this recommendation. I personally think that is far too many.
I totally +1 everything you said about fishless cycling, though :)

Your 2 platies are totally fine. Smaller is better unless you want to change water every.day.

Live plants do not make ammonia, they eat ammonia.

Last edited:
You can buy quick start that you put in your tank it says that it instantly cycles but I ain't sure if it works, not sure why you don't have any ammo in your tank because I thought tap water naturally had it in, how long have you had fish in and how long has it been set up?

It usually doesn't work.

Tap water does not naturally have ammonia. When people find their tap water has ammonia, they are sad.

K thanks the tank has been on for about a week and the fish have been in about the same. I think I need to not stress so much, just don't want the fish to die wife would cry and tell me I don't need any more.

I think if they were going to die they would have died the first couple of days just keep an eye on them and if you have any questions just ask, you have a testing kit?

Yep api master kit. They use it on tanked too

Just keep an eye on it and if you ain't sure have a look around the forum you will find the answer I'm sure or just ask but there is loads on here to read

Thanks

There is ONE person on this forum who advocates this many fish and I am 100% certain this is where you read it, but most of us strongly disagree (sometimes quite vocally) with this recommendation. I personally think that is far too many.
I totally +1 everything you said about fishless cycling, though :)

Your 2 platies are totally fine. Smaller is better unless you want to change water every.day.

Live plants do not make ammonia, they eat ammonia.

It sounded like a lot of fish at once to me too I was just repeating what I heard. All I can say though is that I was trying to cycle a 29 gallon tank with 1 platy and it didn't seem to do much, after the platy died I have been fishless cycling and it completed in one week. Of course maybe that is just proof that the platy was doing something it was just so small and hence not noticable...?

It sounded like a lot of fish at once to me too I was just repeating what I heard. All I can say though is that I was trying to cycle a 29 gallon tank with 1 platy and it didn't seem to do much, after the platy died I have been fishless cycling and it completed in one week. Of course maybe that is just proof that the platy was doing something it was just so small and hence not noticable...?
Yeah I think you are right about that! Any ammonia at all gets things moving, and once they are established it's just a matter of the bacteria doubling up every day.
I wouldn't spread the 3-4 thing, I can't even recall who exactly is the person who says that, but there are often arguments when he does lol

Back
Top Bottom