Getting Started..again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lnb1390

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I have a 29 gallon aquarium. Until recently the aquarium had a medium sized fancy goldfish, a mystery snail and a 2 small live plants. The goldfish came down with dropsy and passed. I am now trying to get my tank ready again for more fish. It is in the process of cycling now. The snail and plants are still in the tank.

I would like to have an assortment of tropical fish but am not sure what to get. I love the snail and have even thought of getting a second but I am worried about reproduction. I have also considered adding shrimp but am not sure if they are compatible with the snail.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice assortment of colorful fish?

Also, I can across some people talking about bare bottom tanks. It sounds much easier to clean but what are the pros and cons of that?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Colorful freshwater fish are in the ciclids family. However there tropical community family does have a few.

Look up Rams, most common and beautiful are the German Blue Rams. They are ciclids but calm ciclids that most people could house with tropical community.

Another awesome looking fish is the boesamani rainbow fish. I enjoy the look of kuhli loaches in my tank.

A much more standard fish is the neon tetras and cardinal tetras. They school, and look great all together. Neon and cardinals will usually school together as well.

Snails and shrimp are fine together especially if you go for a large shrimp like a bamboo shrimp as opposed to the ghost shrimp. Although snails won't harm the ghost shrimp.

The bare bottom tanks are easier to clean, easier to find fish poo and flakes. The cons to it are that your tank will always be empty and cosmetically limited. Alot of breeders use bare bottom tanks because it is easier to see the fry and eggs (If there is eggs).

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A few comments here:
1. A 29g is way too small for boesemanis or discus
2. I'm running a tank bare bottom right now out of necessity but I don't like the way it looks. I love sand in tanks, the waste stays on top and is easier to see/clean, plus there is a range of colors available. I personally don't care for gravel.
3. As for the stock selection, it depends on what you like! There are many colorful livebearers, smaller danios like zebras, and tons of tetras.
4. Sorry can't comment on the snails or shrimp, I've never kept either.
I like to browse on liveaquaria to get ideas for fish.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom