Getting started as a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some pics of the new inhabitants!!!!!

Also what you can't see is that one of the girls gave birth immediately upon entering the tank!!!

TankGirl said:
That looks so nice! What did you think of the LFS?

Greensboro aquatics is amazing!!!!!

However not really much for fresh water fish.(just not a big selection)
But just to get to look at all the amazing saltwater fish was a treat!

The store was spotless and the tanks all looked amazing!

And then I pulled out my phone to refer to this thread and the gentleman said "oh thank goodness you really care" when I opened the aquarium advice app!

Benmstar said:
Greensboro aquatics is amazing!!!!!

However not really much for fresh water fish.(just not a big selection)
But just to get to look at all the amazing saltwater fish was a treat!

The store was spotless and the tanks all looked amazing!

And then I pulled out my phone to refer to this thread and the gentleman said "oh thank goodness you really care" when I opened the aquarium advice app!

Awesome looking fish! So cool that you've already got fry!

Congrats on the fish. They look great. Since u already have fry it's even more important to monitor water parameters and do frequent PWC until tank is fully cycled.
Good luck!!!

GoldsGuy said:
Congrats on the fish. They look great. Since u already have fry it's even more important to monitor water parameters and do frequent PWC until tank is fully cycled.
Good luck!!!

For sure just did a ten percent and everything was still reading practically perfect! Yippee!

Benmstar said:
For sure just did a ten percent and everything was still reading practically perfect! Yippee!

Awesome man. Keep it up. Keep us posted. Been enjoying your post.

about to do a PWC on my tank. ;))

Nice! If you used distilled water to fill the tank and now you're switching to tap (a better move actually; fish will adapt to your tap water and using distilled water lacks minerals so you would need to add those back in) do the transition slowly. Distilled water has very different parameters than your tap so just do some small water changes until the tank is mostly tap water so the fish are transitioned slowly. The fish look great, good luck!

I will for sure keep the updates coming!

I have truly had a ball with this process!

Just wanted to give you all a huge thank you!!!!

I will keep the updates coming!!!!

Thank you so much!!!!

So another one of the girls just had fry!!! I have a lot of fish very quickly lol!!

Parameters are still spot on btw!

When should I become concerned about the number of fish?

TankGirl said:
We need numbers - can you estimate how many adults and how many babies?

There are 5 adult girls and 3 adult males.

6 babies in one set of fry.
3 babies in the other.

Benmstar said:
There are 5 adult girls and 3 adult males.

6 babies in one set of fry.
3 babies in the other.

Wow that's amazing. And if the fish gave birth to fry and fry are flourishing it's a great sign you are taking care if your fish. They are lucky to have you.

I think you'll be okay in terms of bioload, assuming you don't have many more babies, and the very small size of them means the bacterial colonies can grow right along with them. Keep checking the ammonia and nitrite like you've been doing but I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Congrats!!

GoldsGuy said:
Wow that's amazing. And if the fish gave birth to fry and fry are flourishing it's a great sign you are taking care if your fish. They are lucky to have you.

Aw thanks :)

TankGirl said:
I think you'll be okay in terms of bioload, assuming you don't have many more babies, and the very small size of them means the bacterial colonies can grow right along with them. Keep checking the ammonia and nitrite like you've been doing but I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Congrats!!

Thanks

I have been watching very closely checking in the morning and at night.

Thanks again for all your help. :)

How long should I wait to get some ghost shrimp and a mystery snail?

I love some odd little creatures and they had some of the neatest snails at the lfs. The little shrimp just seem super neat.

I would personally wait a couple of months on new additions. I like a tank to "mature" a bit and settle in. The biobugs are not completely established and solid right now, in that disruption of the substrate or filter could cause a cycle easily.

Can you tell I've been burned too many times before, lol? :)

Back
Top Bottom