Getting Started the Painful Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deacon211

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good day all,

This is my first post here, though I've certainly combed through the site in my "fire brigade" attempt to start up a Baby Biorb (4 Gal).

I chose the Biorb because i have a very small condo and limited room. I, of course, made the common mistake of believing everything the nice (and sometimes not so nice) employees down at the Petsmart told me.

So, off I went home with a couple of Guppies and several Tetras.

After finding two of my Tetras down in the filter, the others went back before they suffered the same ignominious fate. I replaced them with two more Guppies, male.

It was the chasing around the tank that brought me here, but luckily, the free for all finally settled down after they decided who was who.

It was when exchanging fish that the "water scientist" told me: "Wow, your Ammonia level is pretty high". This, was my introduction to aquarium chemistry...:facepalm:

So, I went home, immediately cleaned the tank and changed 90% of the water. I then set about changing my filter cartridge (bad), adding another sachet of the Biofilter growth packet, and got myself a proper test kit.

The change was too late for one of my guppies which made me mad at both myself and the fish pushers, several of whom I consulted and NONE of whom even hinted at this stuff. Another of my original Guppies tends to the top of the tank. I'm afraid this is due to gill burn. He seems to be hanging in there, but I don't think the experience was easy on him. :(

As it stands now, I seem to be in a semi-stable state. Despite some monumental screw ups, my Ammonia is near zero, but my Nitrites are pretty high and my PH is a little elevated (7.5...just got the test kit last night). I changed 50% of the water with purified H2O, to temporarily bring down the levels, and am hoping that the tank has finally cycled.

From where I stand, I seem to have four questions:

1. Am I now fully stocked with three Guppies?

2. Does it sound like the tank has truly cycled and thus, should the Nitrite levels begin to come down?

3. Am I doing any harm by weekly changing out such a large percentage of the water? I understand that most of the bacteria lives in the rocks and filter.

4. I occasionally head out of town and have tried leaving one of those plaster fish feeders behind. Upon returning, the feeder does have some holes in it but both my most colorful fish (orange) looked very pale. Of course, with so many things going on in the tank, who knows what caused it. What food in general do you feed Guppies? Will flakes do? How do you feed them when you are away?

OK, that's more than four questions really. But I'd appreciate your help if you have any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Deacon

Deacon211 said:
Good day all,

This is my first post here, though I've certainly combed through the site in my "fire brigade" attempt to start up a Baby Biorb (4 Gal).

I chose the Biorb because i have a very small condo and limited room. I, of course, made the common mistake of believing everything the nice (and sometimes not so nice) employees down at the Petsmart told me.

So, off I went home with a couple of Guppies and several Tetras.

After finding two of my Tetras down in the filter, the others went back before they suffered the same ignominious fate. I replaced them with two more Guppies, male.

It was the chasing around the tank that brought me here, but luckily, the free for all finally settled down after they decided who was who.

It was when exchanging fish that the "water scientist" told me: "Wow, your Ammonia level is pretty high". This, was my introduction to aquarium chemistry...:facepalm:

So, I went home, immediately cleaned the tank and changed 90% of the water. I then set about changing my filter cartridge (bad), adding another sachet of the Biofilter growth packet, and got myself a proper test kit.

The change was too late for one of my guppies which made me mad at both myself and the fish pushers, several of whom I consulted and NONE of whom even hinted at this stuff. Another of my original Guppies tends to the top of the tank. I'm afraid this is due to gill burn. He seems to be hanging in there, but I don't think the experience was easy on him. :(

As it stands now, I seem to be in a semi-stable state. Despite some monumental screw ups, my Ammonia is near zero, but my Nitrites are pretty high and my PH is a little elevated (7.5...just got the test kit last night). I changed 50% of the water with purified H2O, to temporarily bring down the levels, and am hoping that the tank has finally cycled.

From where I stand, I seem to have four questions:

1. Am I now fully stocked with three Guppies?

2. Does it sound like the tank has truly cycled and thus, should the Nitrite levels begin to come down?

3. Am I doing any harm by weekly changing out such a large percentage of the water? I understand that most of the bacteria lives in the rocks and filter.

4. I occasionally head out of town and have tried leaving one of those plaster fish feeders behind. Upon returning, the feeder does have some holes in it but both my most colorful fish (orange) looked very pale. Of course, with so many things going on in the tank, who knows what caused it. What food in general do you feed Guppies? Will flakes do? How do you feed them when you are away?

OK, that's more than four questions really. But I'd appreciate your help if you have any advice.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Deacon

Welcome to the site :)

You may not like some of what you'll hear...but it's definitely knowledge worth having.

First...in my opinion...a 4 gallon tank is not suitable for fish (there may arguably be some micro-fish which would work). A Betta (Siamese Fighting fish) may work...but even then it is not ideal. A tank that size should really limit you to inverts like shrimp or snails. It's simply not enough water for a fish to have a satisfying existence.

You did the right thing by doing the water change and purchasing the test kit. It appears you've learned to not change the filters...in fact never change them until they are literally falling apart. Just rinse them in water from the tank to remove debris during water changes. The bacteria additives or normally useless (and sometime dangerous)...especially the type which would come in a packet.

In honesty, you need to do some serious research on the nitrogen cycle and how it works in an aquarium. It is absolutely vital for the health of your fish that you keep the toxins as low as possible until the tank truly cycles.

A cycled tank will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrIte and some level if nitrAtes. If your nitrItes are high, it is your responsibility to keep them down by doing water changes as often as is needed. Your goal should be keeping the toxins at or below .25 at all times. There is no such thing as too many water changes as long as you are using temperature matched dechlorinated water. Do them every single day, even twice a day if needed. Here's a guide you're going to need to follow to get your fish through this-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

So to answer your questions...
1) You are already overstocked in my opinion. I would personally rehome the Guppys and find animals more suited for 4 gallons of water.
2)Your tank is not cycled. You are in the nitrIte spike phase which is a deadly time for your fish. Please do as many water changes as are needed to reduce the ammonia and no2 down to .25 and keep it there.
3)There is no such thing as too many water changes as long as you are using temp matched, dechlorinated water.
4)The auto-feeders are normally junk and can lead to further water quality issues. I recommend using a quality pellet food. Feed sparingly, especially while cycling. Fish can go several days without food no problem...I'd stop the auto-feeders.

Good luck and make sure you read the article I linked. :)

Hey,

Thanks for the great advice. I had actually already read your article after I found out that I needed to cycle my tank but ALREADY had fish.

The news about the tank being too small for even the smallest fish is quite disheartening. Other than a Betta, are there no fish that could be happy in a 4 gal tank? The Tetras kept finding their way into the filter so I'm hesitant to put something so tiny in there. I would never have thought that the tank would be suitable for nothing.

What is the smallest tank that would be necessary for a single guppy? For these three? I'm concerned that Petsmart would just flush these fish as I've had them for awhile now.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice...I couldn't even have guessed.

Deacon

Have to agree with Eco23 and Jetajockey ... they know their stuff .. a single guppy ..maybe two as mentioned. You did the right thing by coming to AA for advice and you got it as best as you can get.

Good luck!!

^ Jetajockey is definitely the one to ask when it comes to compatibility / tank requirements, etc... I'm sure he could name a couple others which would work in your tank...but many of them are not as commercially available as fish like Guppys, Tetras, etc...

One thing to keep in mind that a lot of people don't realize...the larger a tank is...the easier it is to maintain. A lot of people start with small tanks to learn, but the truth is that it takes away the room for error. The balance in a small tank is a lot more delicate...and small changes can have a big impact. Tanks by themselves are pretty cheap. Around here you can pick up a 10 gallon tank for $10-12. I prefer purchasing items individually instead of starter kits so you can choose the type of filter, lighting, etc... that you want. A 10-20 gallon tank would give you tons of options on what fish you can have, and will also make fish-keeping easier for you.

Right now the priority should be on keeping the toxins as low as possible, and in the mean time consider your options for a larger tank. A 4 gallon would make a great planted shrimp tank IMO.

Totally agree about the tank size thing. Bigger tanks are much easier to deal with, more water volume. Biorbs do make pretty sweet shrimp tanks, I've seen one and really like the idea.

Thanks again, all.

The price is not really the issue, it's just the size of the place. The Biorb sits on about the last free horizontal surface in the place. I actually just came back from Petsmart sizing other tanks and I just can't figure where I would put something larger...maybe higher might work, but I'm going to need a ladder to get up to it. :)

Well, perhaps I can at least find a home for one or two of the Guppies and keep the third. I'm likely to be moving in the not too distant future, so maybe I can move him to something larger.

Deacon

Back
Top Bottom