Gf's 20 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
do you have a fish store nearby? If so, they will probably give you seeded filter media for free or for a low price.

Alright! So ammonia dropped to .5-1 ppm

Nitrites are off the chart (greater than 5ppm)

Nitrates are 80-160 ppm.

So water change and get ammonia back up to 2? Or recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know I'm about 5 days late after you posted. Where are you at now?

Based on the info you posted above, I'd do a water change, maybe 30-50%. Basing that off of high nitrites and nitrates. Test the water not too long after to see where things are at. It's kind of weird that you have nitrites and nitrates. I don't think you should have both. But both are reading high, so, I think a water change is warranted. The tests aren't expired are they?

Then dose to around 2-3ppm ammonia?

Nah they expire in 2017. My guess is the bacteria is breaking down the ammonia and the nitrite bacteria that converts it into nitrate isn't as populated and is playing catch up.

I did a 50% water change and am gonna test it in day or so.

I also added ammonia back up. Forgot to mention that.

I looked back at my notes. On day 5 or 6 of our cycle, we had nitrites (high) and low nitrates.

I was wrong about not having both at once.

You're doing fine it sounds like!!!

Thank you! I felt like it was doing okay, but hearing you confirm it is reassuring.

You're welcome!! I'm glad it's reassuring :)

As soon as I saw my notes I was like I must post to you about it!

I looked at my notes mostly because we're cycling our 5g for hubby's mom to have a betta. And I was like I'll check my notes on the nitrates. Oh!! I was wrong, must go post :)

Looks like ammonia can convert from 2-4 to .5 overnight. But the nitrites are just stupid high. Off the range. Nitrates are also very high.

Alright what do I do? Ammonia can drop overnight nitrites don't move overnight. So if I keep feeding the ammonia the nitrites will get insanely high.

How about a 50% water change?

When was the last time you did one?

Edit. You did one 5 days ago.

What exactly are your readings for nitrite and nitrate?

What are all the exact readings? What cycle day are you on?
And what are you using for ammonia again?

I swear I replied to this.

Ammonia is 0-.5

Nitrites are 2.

Nitrates 60

After the most recent water change.

Ace hardware ammonia with no additives.

Looks like ammonia can convert from 2-4 to .5 overnight. But the nitrites are just stupid high. Off the range. Nitrates are also very high.

These nitrite spikes are normal. Nitrite-oxidizing bacteria grow more slowly than the ammonia-oxidizing bacteria.

Be patient and keep your ammonia around 0.5 ppm. Do water changes until your nitrite is back down to 5 ppm or so. The nitrite will eventually drop and you'll be very close to cycled at that point.

Back
Top Bottom