ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDDad

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are these worthwhile?

I have a 29G newly cycled and newly stocked.

pH 7.5
Ammonia and nitrites are zero

Stocked with 3 platies and 6 Serpae tetras at the moment.

I also have a couple weird little snails that were stowaways on the hornwort and java moss on driftwood I bought at the LFS.

Would a ghost shrimp do OK and be worth having to clean up the debris? More than one?

I also think they're cool looking.

Just so you know they do not take much bio-load. But I do prefer the cherry shrimp because the ghost shrimp are well almost impossible to see but you could probably get 10 ghost shrimp if you want more fish but if not then like 18 shrimp.

Ghost Shrimp are great. I have a couple in a 55 gal. They are hard to see and I'll go days without catching a glimpse of them. With the lights on they seem to hide a lot.

We do have a couple aquarium cameras that are accessed via the web. If we use those with night vision we can see just how truly active they are in the dark.

The Ghost Shrimp are less of a target for the fish. Cherries are tiny and brighty colored fish candy. Serpaes can be active hunters.

If you want to try RCS, make sure you have some dense wood for them to hideout.

How many could I add at one time without throwing off my nitrogen cycle?

As a side note, I'm starting to worry that Serpae weren't the best choice for a community tank, as they're more aggressive than most tetras from what I've read.

They don't seem to bother my three platies, and are about the same size, so perhaps that's why...

Back
Top Bottom