Ghost Shrimp died another is white

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunslave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I have a 15gal Fluval Flex with Fluval stratum substrate. I have a bunch of nice plants, 3 tetra cardinals, 2 glofish, 3 julii corydoras, 4 ghost shrimp and 3 nerite snails. All fish are young and small. I change my water (50%) weekly. And feed once per day and a 1/4 algae wafer every 2-3 days for the corys and the shrimp.

Over the last couple days, one shrimp wheat missing, another turned white and today the big one died. I checked all water parameters and all levels are really good. I use a GH supplement as well to boost the minerals.

Any idea what could be the culprit.

Ghost shrimp have super short lifespans dude. Mine went through the same thing. Unfortunately they all died. But they’re super cheap which is good

Do a water change ASAP! Shrimp dying can be a indicator of something very wrong in your tank. Do you use the test strips? They can be VERY inaccurate!

Hi dragoonees, thanks for the reply. I checked my water parameters that day (using the API Master kit, not the strips) all parameters were very good... albiet the ph is quite low 6.4 because I am using Fluval stratum which automatically buffers the pH down. I also performed a water change after the test just to be sure 50%. My tap water does not contain much minerals so I use a GH supplement, but have not tested GH or KH.

Well for one, the API test kits are known to be a bit.. off.

Your water treatments are contradicting themselves. Either you have low PH with "soft" water, or high PH with more mineralized water. Unless you are raising one of the rare species that NEEDS those oddball parameters, stop using the chems! The more you fiddle with a tank, the quicker things can go wrong! Also... Its a bit of wasted money. What is your natural PH/Gh run? Do your pots and pans get a film?

Sorry I was not clear. I am using a soil medium called Fluval stratum. This medium is volcanic based and automatically buffers. My 7.0 tap water down. It’s great for planted tanks and my plants are thriving. My tap water does not have minerals for I use a GH supplement to add minerals for my snails. I do not add any other chemicals other than the water conditioner... the water parameters stay constant. I do not fiddle with it.

OH. Good. Sorry, I worked in a LFS and it was a common mistake. I guess I expect it too much! I really would increase the water changes though, those little shrimp can live quite a long time! I have one thats over a year old I cant get out of my bowfont!

everything you will read on ghost shrimp tell you that they will live when you bring them home from 1 day to a year and anything in between.

Back
Top Bottom