Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ghost Shrimp died another is white

Hi there, I have a 15gal Fluval Flex with Fluval stratum substrate. I have a bunch of nice plants, 3 tetra cardinals, 2 glofish, 3 julii corydoras, 4 ghost shrimp and 3 nerite snails. All fish are young and small. I change my water (50%) weekly. And feed once per day and a 1/4 algae wafer every 2-3 days for the corys and the shrimp.

Over the last couple days, one shrimp wheat missing, another turned white and today the big one died. I checked all water parameters and all levels are really good. I use a GH supplement as well to boost the minerals.

Any idea what could be the culprit.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ghost shrimp have super short lifespans dude. Mine went through the same thing. Unfortunately they all died. But theyíre super cheap which is good

Old 03-31-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do a water change ASAP! Shrimp dying can be a indicator of something very wrong in your tank. Do you use the test strips? They can be VERY inaccurate!
Old 03-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #4

Hi dragoonees, thanks for the reply. I checked my water parameters that day (using the API Master kit, not the strips) all parameters were very good... albiet the ph is quite low 6.4 because I am using Fluval stratum which automatically buffers the pH down. I also performed a water change after the test just to be sure 50%. My tap water does not contain much minerals so I use a GH supplement, but have not tested GH or KH.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well for one, the API test kits are known to be a bit.. off.

Your water treatments are contradicting themselves. Either you have low PH with "soft" water, or high PH with more mineralized water. Unless you are raising one of the rare species that NEEDS those oddball parameters, stop using the chems! The more you fiddle with a tank, the quicker things can go wrong! Also... Its a bit of wasted money. What is your natural PH/Gh run? Do your pots and pans get a film?
Old 03-31-2020, 08:55 PM   #6

Sorry I was not clear. I am using a soil medium called Fluval stratum. This medium is volcanic based and automatically buffers. My 7.0 tap water down. It’s great for planted tanks and my plants are thriving. My tap water does not have minerals for I use a GH supplement to add minerals for my snails. I do not add any other chemicals other than the water conditioner... the water parameters stay constant. I do not fiddle with it.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

OH. Good. Sorry, I worked in a LFS and it was a common mistake. I guess I expect it too much! I really would increase the water changes though, those little shrimp can live quite a long time! I have one thats over a year old I cant get out of my bowfont!
Old 04-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

everything you will read on ghost shrimp tell you that they will live when you bring them home from 1 day to a year and anything in between.

Tags
die, died, ghost, ghost shrimp, rim, shrimp, white

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com