Ghost Shrimp vs Red Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's for sure. I very rarely ever see a molted shell, only a small piece one in a while. My rcs eat frog skin too. I used to see it skin on things they rubbed on but not anymore. Hell the cherries land on the frogs trying to pick it off them. My adfs don't care for that much, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Poor ADFs...

NatureFish
????

I know there's a range of parameters but what are the best parameters?

NatureFish
????

It almost seems as though CRS would be better suited to my water. LiveAquaria said that they are hardy and that they can live in small ponds.

NatureFish
????

Maybe check out Shrimpwiki.com. I know one of the guys who consults for them, very good guy and really knows his stuff. They sell shrimp but they also give excellent advice on keeping them properly. They specialize in high quality Cystals & Bee shrimp, etc., rather than Cherry shrimp.
Or try Shrimpfever. The owner has a store and a website, sells many kinds of shrimp and is a font of good information on keeping shrimp. Tommy won't steer you wrong. Far as I know, both sites sell to the US, but are located in Canada.

Maybe check out Shrimpwiki.com. I know one of the guys who consults for them, very good guy and really knows his stuff. They sell shrimp but they also give excellent advice on keeping them properly. They specialize in high quality Cystals & Bee shrimp, etc., rather than Cherry shrimp.
Or try Shrimpfever. The owner has a store and a website, sells many kinds of shrimp and is a font of good information on keeping shrimp. Tommy won't steer you wrong. Far as I know, both sites sell to the US, but are located in Canada.

I'll look into that thank you!

NatureFish
????

Everyone who's had success with rcs have different perimeters. I have really hard well water that's natu high ph, 7.8. I keep the temp at 78. Whatever your perimiters are, as long as its stable and consistent, they'll be fine, and as long as you acclimate them slowly to your water. Why don't you try a couple ghosts first since they are super cheap. If any die right away, don't be discouraged as they aren't taken care of too well in fish stores. After keeping a couple alive for a little while, then venture into rcs. Ghosts don't hide, but rcs can be a bit more active swimming around. I have both in my tank but I prefer my cherries.

If you're going to buy rcs online, look into people on here or other forums first. They are going to be cheaper including shipping.

Chemicals got into the tank I was cycling so it looks like I can't do shrimp for while until I get a whole new tank (which probably won't happen). :(

NatureFish
????

Chemicals got into the tank I was cycling so it looks like I can't do shrimp for while until I get a whole new tank (which probably won't happen). :(

NatureFish
????

Can you elaborate? Why would you need a new tank?
One day I will try out Crystal Reds. Even a year into keeping RCS I still feel like I'm not quite up to the more sensitive shrimp species.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can you elaborate? Why would you need a new tank?
One day I will try out Crystal Reds. Even a year into keeping RCS I still feel like I'm not quite up to the more sensitive shrimp species.

I went to my LFS they said its not ruined, yay! Ok sorry newbie panic! However my LFS had convinced me to do a anemone and clown fish 30 gallon so that will be next project after I finish up with this nano planted tank. Cherries would be nice but would they work with apistograma cichlids?

NatureFish
????

I went to my LFS they said its not ruined, yay! Ok sorry newbie panic! However my LFS had convinced me to do a anemone and clown fish 30 gallon so that will be next project after I finish up with this nano planted tank. Cherries would be nice but would they work with apistograma cichlids?

NatureFish
????

Just curious, what chemical were you referring to? Glad it worked out.
I would be wary of an LFS convincing you as a newbie to take on an ambitious endeavor. Not to curb your enthusiasm and no disrespect to the LFS, but they are running a business and may either tell you what you want to hear or something to make a sale. You as a consumer and hobbyist need to do your research and educate yourself.
Cichlids are predators. Dwarf shrimp are prey.

Just curious, what chemical were you referring to? Glad it worked out.
I would be wary of an LFS convincing you as a newbie to take on an ambitious endeavor. Not to curb your enthusiasm and no disrespect to the LFS, but they are running a business and may either tell you what you want to hear or something to make a sale. You as a consumer and hobbyist need to do your research and educate yourself.
Cichlids are predators. Dwarf shrimp are prey.

My LFS realizes I'm a beginner so they are going to come to my house and help me set up my tank and teach me about this. I've already done the majority of my research on my own anyway so if they give bad advice I'll know it. They have very nice tanks and generally healthy fish so I don't think it will be problem. As far as chemicals, it wasnt really that bad. There was soap residue and cardboard from a cereal box.

NatureFish
????

I don't trust advice from lfs. I recently rescued a poor skinny stressed out adf from one cause they had him in a tank with cichlids. He was being nipped at and scared. Another tried telling me info on my frogs that made me laugh. I trust forums over anything, experience over profit.

I don't think its quite fair to speak in absolutes. Not every lfs is created equal. I think most of us have seen some sad things in stores. Miistakes are made, people are only human and not all workers are there because they like fish, some are just there to make money. It is always good to remember that they are in business to make a living.

But if you take the time to talk to the staff and the owner if possible, you can usually find out which staff members actually have good knowledge, and which don't. Chain stores are notorious for having staff that know little, but some of the smaller private stores usually have some staff members that are genuine mines of information.

Buyer beware and for heavens sake, today, if you want to be in this hobby, there's not much excuse for not doing your own research, because information is much easier to get now than it was when I first started in the hobby.

Oh I agree. I've learned so much online. I've spent hours looking everything up on all that I have, including every type of plant. I don't have access to any smaller private stores, but i'm sure they are a bit more knowledgeable. My experience has been limited to 3 chains. One guy offered me a job after I corrected him on many things he was telling me, lol. When it comes to care for any living thing, everyone should stock up on info before bringing it home. We've all made our share of mistakes and accidentally killed things. I've lost both ghosts and rcs due tk errors, but i've learned. Thank the lord I haven't lost or harmed a frog.

Wish I could say that about my frogs. I started with four floating frogs.. I have one left. One died of an apparent fungal infection, two others simply vanished. No dried up corpses on the floor, no bodies to be found.

I keep many scavengers in their tank, so I assume they were eaten before I found them. The one remaining is hale, hearty and now two years old and eating as well as ever. I'd like to get her at least one more friend, though she does not seem to mind being on her own. They never leave water and have made good tank mates with shrimp, small fish & snails, which is what I keep with her. She ignores anything that's not an insect crawling on the floating plant cover.

The first one I lost died shortly after it came home. It never ate after I got it and was very gaunt. I was new to frogs and did not realize just how gaunt it was, until I was able to see how the others appeared a few weeks later with regular feeding. They all put on a lot of weight. This little guy only lasted a few days, so I think it was terribly starved before I purchased the poor thing. I'll know better should I buy any more, what to look for.

I wish I knew what happened to the others but they were all very young when I got them, and I wonder if the others succumbed to the fungal issue too. The remaining female never had it, heaven knows why. There is so little information about them to be found, I wish there was was more. I always feel terrible when something like that happens, whether it's because I messed up or the store messed up.

Back
Top Bottom