glass catfish curved spine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinksadiemcc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, im keeping glass catfish in my community aquarium for the first time and ive just lost one tonite. It very quickly changed (within 24 hours) to an s shape although no other physical changes detected. Seemed pretty listless and wanted to stay near the top of the tank. Any ideas what could have caused this? poss tuberculosus?
parameters: 64L ph 7.2 A 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 temp 24
Any help would be appreciated! :)

Hi all, im keeping glass catfish in my community aquarium for the first time and ive just lost one tonite. It very quickly changed (within 24 hours) to an s shape although no other physical changes detected. Seemed pretty listless and wanted to stay near the top of the tank. Any ideas what could have caused this? poss tuberculosus?
parameters: 64L ph 7.2 A 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 temp 24
Any help would be appreciated! :)

How long has it been in your tank? Your parameters are great and it definitely wasn't starved for space. IMO it sounds as though it was sick already. Was it the only one you had in your tank (of that type)? I do not think that it could've have been caused by something in your tank unless it was getting bullied.

thanks!

Hi thanks for the reply, it had only been in the tank for a week but never schooled with the other 2 glass catfish right from the beginning so i think it may have been unwell from the start like you say. i did worry about bullying...i have approx 16 mixed tetras, a betta, one silver shark, a hong kong plec, one large black apple snail and one temperate shrimp....could the shrimp be a bully? or see them as food?

Hi thanks for the reply, it had only been in the tank for a week but never schooled with the other 2 glass catfish right from the beginning so i think it may have been unwell from the start like you say. i did worry about bullying...i have approx 16 mixed tetras, a betta, one silver shark, a hong kong plec, one large black apple snail and one temperate shrimp....could the shrimp be a bully? or see them as food?

I think that the shrimp would be too small to pose any real threat to any of your fish. If the catfish was acting weird from the beginning then it is most likely that it was already sick.

I have heard someone say that this kind of thing is fish tb, but I don't know if they are joking or not. Your tank is way overstocked though.

ok guys thankyou both remaining catfish now have whitespot :( i was adding melafix to the tank for 3 days as a general tonic but i think i'll have to wait 48hrs before i can add ws treatment? am i hugely overstocked? is it possible that they are stressed due to overcrowding?

Yeah, you are pretty overstocked. The silver shark is probably a bala shark, which grows over a foot. Other than that, you would also need to get rid of 4 of the tetras, then you would be good.

What size tank is again? I looked, but didnt see it. Not sure how to tell if youre overstocked or not without knowing the tank size. Filtration is a factor as well.

One of my little Rasboras had kind of a crooked shape at one point. I think he may have gulped down one of my Molly's fry, but I treated for bacterial infection just in case. Either way he got better after a week.

Glass catfish can be very sensitive.since they are all wild caught and ime are very shy. If you ever have a little bit bigger tank and want to try again I'd try a group of at least 5 or 6. They can take weeks to get used to a tank and are often unhealthy at the pet store

aw thankyou everyone....i have a 64L tank and run an interpet pf2 and a fluval u2 for a little extra filtration. Both remaining catfish look good today so im hoping they're settling in and i'll treat for white spot starting today :) thanks for all the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom