goldfish tank mates???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SammLuke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have a 90G FW aquarium that was originally only housing a 8" goldfish and a 9" sailfin pleco. Recently we added a pictus catfish (4"), a tinfoil bard (9") and a silver dollar (5"). We were looking into what other fish we could add but I'm a little lost as most of my fish seem pretty peaceful...except the goldfish was picking at the tinfoil bard a bit at first (but now they are buds and all 3 swimmers seem to have made their own weird looking school).

My question is, what fish would be appropriate to add? we were looking at discus but i'm a little concerned they are a little too peaceful... but also seem very similar to the silver dollar to seems very happy. We were also considering a Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster.... not too sure what to expect with them.

I know it may be a little weird but I get attached to my fish, especially my goldfish since I have had him for 6 years so I really want to make sure everything is ok.

The sailfin Pleco and gold fish have a majorly high bio load they poop a lot. My LFS has a Pleco in there display tank that they have measured at 2ft these fish all get huge. But yes personally I think it's stocked. You don't go off the amount of fish you go off there bioload and filtration

BTW we are planning on buying a 150G for the sailfin in the near future, we currently have a Rena XP3 filter and we do 10% min water changes weekly because I know that pleco needs a bigger tank

10% water changes aren't enough. Do at least 25% weekly with 50% being ideal. Yeah you seem stocked. The barbs and silver dollars like schools though but you don't really have room. Maybe 1 or 2 mor silver dollars or barbs and your done.

we usually do 50% once a month... water bills are pretty pricey on a tank that size... plus we have a saltwater tank that needs constant water changes too. All fish are healthy and we test the water daily.
But I was more wondering about compatibility of the fish/lobster I suggested... we definitely will wait to buy anything until we get the larger tank but I want to know for future...and yes I know The silver dollar and barb like to be in groups... I didn't choose the fish I took them from someone who couldn't keep them.

Also I was told my pleco was a "common pleco that won't get very big"... I bought him with only a 10 gallon tank....so that was a slap in the face when I found out what he was and the aquarium requirements.

I thought so too but apparently (according to the know it all aquarium store people) they do better and live longer in slightly warmer water... not warm... just warmer

Back
Top Bottom