Goldfish Tank setup... Poor condition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kk1999

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

So basically my neighbours built this tank and added 8 comet goldfish and 4 others which I cannot figure out what exactly they are.

The tank seems to be in a poor condition so I decided to post here for help. Please let me know what changes I gotta make and any plants you'd suggest or any cleaning team.

Please take a look at the photos.

Attachments

• 16347126987398692364731101578090.jpg
    16347126987398692364731101578090.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-20211020-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20211020-WA0010.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 30
Any idea what they’ve got for filtration?

I’d assume this thing sees direct sunlight as it appears to be outdoors. I’d also venture a guess that what you are seeing there is just an algae bloom which is common for newer setups until the nutrient levels stabilize.

If water quality tests fine,(ammonia, nitrates, nitrites,ect) I would shade it from direct sunlight to slow down the algae some people have gone as far as putting a cover over the whole aquarium and keeping it dark for several days to try and kill the algae.

I’m not sure that theory would work so well as the algae will be back as soon as the tank gets light anyways. You can try the magic bottles from a Pet shop but I think it’s just something that has to run it’s course

Any idea what they’ve got for filtration?

I’d assume this thing sees direct sunlight as it appears to be outdoors. I’d also venture a guess that what you are seeing there is just an algae bloom which is common for newer setups until the nutrient levels stabilize.

If water quality tests fine,(ammonia, nitrates, nitrites,ect) I would shade it from direct sunlight to slow down the algae some people have gone as far as putting a cover over the whole aquarium and keeping it dark for several days to try and kill the algae.

I’m not sure that theory would work so well as the algae will be back as soon as the tank gets light anyways. You can try the magic bottles from a Pet shop but I think it’s just something that has to run it’s course

There are no filters.
They aren't in direct sunlight because the tank is surrounded by high Walls so the shade falls upon it.

I wanted to add some plants to it and some other tank mates.

Is there any rock/gavel/ect on the bottom? With no filtration and that kind of bioload you need somewhere for the beneficial bacteria to live.

Definitely be a good idea to add some more plants. With stagnant water like that, anything to help increase o2 levels isn’t a bad idea

Is there any rock/gavel/ect on the bottom? With no filtration and that kind of bioload you need somewhere for the beneficial bacteria to live.

Definitely be a good idea to add some more plants. With stagnant water like that, anything to help increase o2 levels isn’t a bad idea

I didn't think substrate is a good idea given curiosity of goldfish. They nibble on everything.
What fish are good to go with them?

I've placed a few rocks for the bacteria to grow on if that helps.

I think you’re going to Have to add some substrate. Either washed gravel (large enough they can’t get in their mouth or try to, or small such as aquarium substrate that they can spit out without trouble)

As it stands, that’s a pretty good bioload for that size of pond (what are the dimensions or water volume if you know?). It’s going to take a fair bit of surface area for enough beneficial bacteria to grow to allow the pond to cycle.

In my pond, which is substantially larger, I have a mix of koi, comets and a couple mixed flavours of fancy goldfish. They all seem to get along good, in the evenings when the sun starts to drop they can usually be seen swimming in a large group around the shoreline

I think you’re going to Have to add some substrate. Either washed gravel (large enough they can’t get in their mouth or try to, or small such as aquarium substrate that they can spit out without trouble)

As it stands, that’s a pretty good bioload for that size of pond (what are the dimensions or water volume if you know?). It’s going to take a fair bit of surface area for enough beneficial bacteria to grow to allow the pond to cycle.

In my pond, which is substantially larger, I have a mix of koi, comets and a couple mixed flavours of fancy goldfish. They all seem to get along good, in the evenings when the sun starts to drop they can usually be seen swimming in a large group around the shoreline

Your pond sounds beautiful.
How's substrate gonna help the fish? Goldfish aren't bottom feeders right?

The dimensions and volume,
It holds 188 gallons of water.
Width 86 cm
Length 150.5 cm
Height 55 cm

How's substrate gonna help the fish? Goldfish aren't bottom feeders right?

There is no filter, so you need something for bacteria to grow on to process fish waste (ammonia) into less toxic nitrate. Substrate is a good media to hold this bacteria.

Is there any rock/gavel/ect on the bottom? With no filtration and that kind of bioload you need somewhere for the beneficial bacteria to live

There is no filter, so you need something for bacteria to grow on to process fish waste (ammonia) into less toxic nitrate. Substrate is a good media to hold this bacteria.

The live plants can help sort the waste issue innit?

About the filter or pump system, I was wondering if it would be necessary to add a pump system or filter because I'm in a tropical country, Indonesia to be precise and secondly I live in outskirts so its filled with greens everywhere. It rains a lot so the water is displaced quiet frequently.

The geography brings me to another question. There are a lot of snails or many different sizes so will it be sensible to use them and there are many different plants in the damp area in the woods. I was able to figure out some are poisonous to the fish.

These are just my questions and I'd take the idea about the substrate into consideration tho. Thanks a lot.

Im going to start this with a couple of points.

I understand you are trying to do the best for your neighbours fish. So on good on you! Everything you try and do will be of benefit.

Also, im not a pond guy. Coldkoi knows more about ponds than me. Probably knows more about ponds than i ever will.

But, in my opinion a box of water is a box of water. It doesnt matter whether that box is made of glass or lined plywood. It doesnt matter if that box is inside or outside.

Your system needs to be able to manage ammonia going in. Plants can take up some ammonia, but it would need a lot of plants and a small amount of fish for plants alone to be sufficient. The nitrogen cycle can deal with it if there is sufficient surface area for enough beneficial bacteria to consume all the ammonia. Without a filter and filter media this will be difficult, unless again you are talking about a small number of fish relative to volume of water. You also need water movement so water passes over or through whatever your beneficial bacteria is growing on. Dilution? In a big pond with a relatively small amount of fish i see that as doable, but your neighbours pond isnt that big and there are quite a lot of fish relative to the amount of water.

I would also take issue with relying on rainfall to manage things. There are 2 stages to changing water. Old, contaminated water needs to be taken out and replaced with new clean water. Rainfall only deals with the replacement side (unless you are relying on the pond overflowing). Simply replacing evaporated water won't help as its only the H2O that evaporates, it leaves the contaminants behind. You actually need the both input and output.

In my opinion, unless you are planning a lot of big water changes you wont be able to safely manage water quality in your neighbours pond without some kind of filtration.

As i said though. Im not a pond person, so could be way off the mark.

That’s bang on as far as my knowledge goes.

It’s no different than having a tank indoors with no filter and no substrate. Just a tank of stagnant water that gets a top up with a bit of fresh water every now and then

You need somewhere for bacteria to live. Substrate adds a larger surface area for it to populate. Plants definitely help, but you need a lot of them if you’re relying on them to clean the water

Although I rely on rainwater and spring runoff to top up and “change” water in my pond, it’s also roughly 750,000 gallons. It’s got natural vegetation and a windmill aerator to circulate water

If you haven’t already, please read up on the nitrogen cycle and what is involved in establishing a ‘complete’ cycle

That’s bang on as far as my knowledge goes.

It’s no different than having a tank indoors with no filter and no substrate. Just a tank of stagnant water that gets a top up with a bit of fresh water every now and then

You need somewhere for bacteria to live. Substrate adds a larger surface area for it to populate. Plants definitely help, but you need a lot of them if you’re relying on them to clean the water

Although I rely on rainwater and spring runoff to top up and “change” water in my pond, it’s also roughly 750,000 gallons. It’s got natural vegetation and a windmill aerator to circulate water

If you haven’t already, please read up on the nitrogen cycle and what is involved in establishing a ‘complete’ cycle

I was aware of Nitrogen cycle but never thought about it here, silly me!

There's water lettuces now in the tank and the water seems cleaner for some reason.
I had added duckweed too.

I'm getting a clearer picture now. Thanks a lot guys.

I didn't think substrate is a good idea given curiosity of goldfish. They nibble on everything.
What fish are good to go with them?

I've placed a few rocks for the bacteria to grow on if that helps.

I wouldn't add any more fish until you get a filter and some substrate. Even then, it looks crowded as it is.

I wouldn't add any more fish until you get a filter and some substrate. Even then, it looks crowded as it is.

Hi,
Yes, I've realised that. Thanks a lot for the enlightenment cuz this was the first time I had to deal with something like this.

Back
Top Bottom