Good and quiet HOB Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Green

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All, I currently have a Top Fin filter that is a little noisy. What is a good HOB filter that is quiet? Also, what size filter for a 29 gallon would you recommend? As far as media, would you just go with the floss type?

When changing over to the new filter would you put the old media in front of the new media to let the bacteria transfer over?

Thanks again for the help.

All, I currently have a Top Fin filter that is a little noisy. What is a good HOB filter that is quiet? Also, what size filter for a 29 gallon would you recommend? As far as media, would you just go with the floss type?

When changing over to the new filter would you put the old media in front of the new media to let the bacteria transfer over?

I've heard AquaClear HOB's are real quiet. I bought a marineland 100 for my son's 10gal and it's a bit noisy, but not terribly. I'd say for a 29gal, you'll want one that can do up to 50gal capacity. With the Marineland, I cut a slit and removed the Carbon from the cartridge and inserted Poly-fill.

Yes, put the old media in front of the new media so the BB seeds.

I believe I have heard AquaClear to be the best HOB, or one of the best anyway; reliable, quiet, and very good filtration.

HOB Filter Question

Hello Mr....

Hagen AquaClear HOBs are a good brand. I use them in all my tanks. An AquaClear 50 would work well for you if you do large and frequent water changes. No need to over filter your tank if you change at least half the tank water every week.

An AC 50 will cost about $30 or so plus shipping.

I use media pads from HBH. Good quality and work well. When I transfer media, I just rinse the new stuff in the old water change water and then squeeze the contents of the old stuff onto the new. Put in the new and toss the old. Pretty simple.

Hopefully, the filters are similiar and allow the above maneuver. I've never used Top Fin.

B

Aqua clear is the best way to go. Grab a 70. These also have the advantage that you will not need to buy any media anytime soon. Plenty of people use the bio rings and the foam only and it works very well. I myself have these in three tanks.

I have aquaclear on my 29 i run a 50 and have never had any problems with a fully stocked tank.

Tank Filtration

I have aquaclear on my 29 i run a 50 and have never had any problems with a fully stocked tank.

Hello out...

I agree. I run an AC 50 in both of my 30 G tanks. That's plenty of filtration for a tank this size. If you do large, weekly water changes, you don't need to over filter your tank, because there's no time of pollutants to build up in the water. The filter is just filtering water that's already clean.

B

Back
Top Bottom