Good population for a 10 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thinksincode

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I'm still stuck with a small 10 gallon (my apartment is too small for anything much bigger) and had a question about what to put in this tank, without overcrowding it.

Right now, I have 4 mollies and 3 emerald green cories. My questions are:
(1) Am I already overpopulated?
(2) If not, is there anything else small you would recommend that I could add?
And, (3) If there's no room for any more fish, what about something like a shrimp or a snail to add a little variety?

Thanks!

I would say you're about at your limit. I'd say #3 is your only possible scenario at this point. I imagine you are doing frequent PWCs currently, correct? Like at least once a week?

Usually once a week. Sometimes I get lazy and let it go for longer, but I'm getting better at it. What would be better, a snail or a shrimp?

I'd say you're fully stocked and would pass on anything, including shrimp and snails unless you plan to have a larger tank in the near future.

I'm planning on keeping it at a 10 gallon. Does a single snail really add that much of a load that it would be bad?

If you were to keep up with water changes, you could get away with the bioload. My concern would also be the swimming room. Mollies can get rather large, probably between 3-4" on average and 5" on the large side. Then you're pushing your room.

Personally, I'd trade in the mollies for some smaller tetras. Neons maybe? That way, I could probably go from 4 to around 6 maybe.

Back
Top Bottom