Good stock for a 36g bowing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Other Guy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I made the mistake of choosing Tiger Barbs for my first tank, so I asked around and found a new home for the fish. I'm hoping to keep the other tankmates but make the transition to a community tank, from what I see most of them would be fine either way.

Current occupants:
1 SA Bumblebee Cat
1 Clown Loach (Victim of the LFS telling me it's OK, I know how big it gets and now I'm stuck with it)
2 Opaline Gourami, currently in a separate tank as the Barbs were being relentless.

Tankmates I'm thinking of:
8-12 Neon Tetras
7-9 Harlequin Rasboras
2 Swordtails, 1 male and 1 female or 2 females

Anything worth pointing about this list? Suggested order of introduction? Potential problems (outside the loach's size, I know), suggestions, or replacements to make?

For reference, some tank facts:
Been out of cycling for ~ 3 weeks now.
pH - 7.6, trying to lower, any advice?
Currently do 30% water changes weekly.
Tank has 2 fake plants, 2 rocks forming a cave, and arching bogwood for decor.
Substrate is smooth aquarium gravel.

For live-bearers I get three females to one male.

If your tap water is the same as the fish shop, chances are the fish will be fine and already adjusted to the ph.

Would also add some live plants.

Wondering how big the bumblebee catfish will get?

Welcome to the forum :)

Clown loaches are schooling fish. A single fish will be miserable. Also, they get large; up to 12" I believe. Even 1 in a 36g will be too much.
The bumblebee catfish should be fine, as they only reach about 3.5". However, they also prefer the company of their own kind. A group of 3 or 4 will look cool in your tank, and still leave room for a small school of tetras or rasboras. As for your PH, the catfish will be fine with 7.6. Both rasboras and neon tetras come from acidic, soft water environs, but both - being likely tank or farm bred for several generations - should adapt just fine to your water parameters. If you want something colorful and interesting, you could put 1 male and 2-3 female cockatoo cichlids in your tank instead of the other fish you mentioned. They're S American cichlids, only reach a couple inches, and are very colorful and entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom