Got a 75 gallon tank now what

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aCodemonkey99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all I got a 75 gallon tank with a 4 1/2 jack Dempsey. What are some good fish friends to put in there? I have heard everything from oscar fish, blood parrots, giant danios, silver dollars, german blue rams, to convicts. Any suggestions I want lots of color if possible and fish count doesnt really matter to me as long as it is colorful.

I had Australian rainbowfish with my electric blue and comon Jack Dempsey.

Hey all I got a 75 gallon tank with a 4 1/2 jack Dempsey. What are some good fish friends to put in there? I have heard everything from oscar fish, blood parrots, giant danios, silver dollars, german blue rams, to convicts. Any suggestions I want lots of color if possible and fish count doesnt really matter to me as long as it is colorful.

I would keep other cichlids with it. Convict, green terror, blue acara.

Is an oscar a good idea or maybe even an angel fish?

those are possibilities. the oscar will do well but do know oscars get grow to insane sizes. im talking over 12" in size. they also can be just as aggressive as a jack dempsey. angelfish are more docile of cichlids and might get picked on by the jack. some people keep just one, some keep groups of 4 or 5 but it seems they do best in larger groups of 7-8 or more.

I see blood parrots alot are they good? As well what about Red Shoulder Severum ?

A single male Salvini
A single male Convict
Three or four male Firemouths
Two BN Plecos
Three or four YoYo Loaches or Red Tail Loaches.

I really like the Green Terror / RIvulatus suggestion. I'm currently raising a baby male. Keeping a male JD and a male GT together in a 75 Gal. Might be a bit risky. I kept a GT / JD together for five years. The JD was always the more aggressive until "That day" when the GT turned and went postal on the JD. The GT killed the JD in about 30 seconds. That was in a 120 gal. IMO, Green Terror males are a better all around fish compared to the JD. Better looking and not nearly as aggressive.

An Oscar might work short term until he outgrows the tank The JD will likely dominate an Oscar while young.

Back
Top Bottom