Got a new 46 gallon... what to do next

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MetalHeadX343

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've already setup this tank and it's looking very nice I have a Marineland 350 with duel bio-wheel, a bit too much for a 46 but... anyway I've always owned ridiculous large and aggressive fish and now i'm trying to start a community tank. I owned one about 5 years ago and had dragon fish, tiger barbs, bala sharks, redtailed sharks, and a few sword tails. The aquarium did fine until my parents bought me puffer fish and they killed everything in my tank so I retired the aquarium for 2 years and i'm going back to it. I'm trying to have a massive glofish colony in my 46 gallon. I'm just starting out again and don't have any decorations yet. I have 3 glofish and 3 glotetras. I know very little about the green glow tetras and cannot find anything about them on the internet. They are a new fish that they carry at petsmart and I pretty much just need to know if they are going to be aggressive towards the glofish. I have them in the same tank right now and they have PLENTY of territory however they have been chasing the glofish a bit and it worries me. The tetras do chase each other in the same manner though, I think it's probably nothing but I don't like harming fish in anyway. So if anyone has any info on these and can tell me whether I should return the tetras or not please tell me I don't want to stress the glofish out. I've also looked at other tetras to see if I could find one that looked like mine without the glowing affect and the one that I found said it's temperament was peaceful. Thank you for taking your time to read this and any input is better than none so try to help me out. Thanks

I've never heard of Green Glo Tetras; are they Green Neon Tetras or Green Fire Tetras, maybe? Google those and see if they look like the fish you have. Both of those types of fish prefer larger groups so that could be the issue as well. Once you fill out their groups the aggressiveness should lessen.

Also have you cycled the tank? You might want to read the link in my signature below: guide to starting a freshwater aquarium. The first thing it covers is cycling. You may be doing a fish-in cycle if the tank wasn't cycled with an ammonia source before adding the fish, so you'll want to read those links that are in the guide before adding more fish. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom