got a new filter!! (finally)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyApril83

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just for my aquaclear 70 filter for my 37gallon tropical tank ....my question is how to seed it with my good bacteria. I was told to bury the stuff in the gravel in my tank for a few and run it without the stuff...and I forgot the stuffs name lol the white cylinder things...lol
But I currently am on day 4 of ich heat treatment...I was thinking waiting till after day 10 is best...am I right

I have a top fin filter now and I took all but that meshy like thing out cuz I medicated. (which I'm not continuing cuz it killed a fish so I'm doing heat for the ich) I don't want to contaminate the new filter...if that is possible...

What filter do you have now and what type of media? The good thing about the aquaclears is that you can pretty much put anything in the basket as long as it fits and doesn't impede the flow. I would try fitting as much media from your current filter into the new one. Or you can run both simultaneously for a few weeks at least (or even keep them both, extra filtration is never a bad thing).

What filter do you have now and what type of media? The good thing about the aquaclears is that you can pretty much put anything in the basket as long as it fits and doesn't impede the flow. I would try fitting as much media from your current filter into the new one. Or you can run both simultaneously for a few weeks at least (or even keep them both, extra filtration is never a bad thing).

Top fin but will the ich contaminate the new filter?

Yes, the ich will get into the new filter, but if the filter is on the tank that's under treatment that's okay. It doesn't matter. It won't make the ich worse. It would only be a problem if the filter is going on a tank that does not have ich and you put ich infected media in it. You don't want to contaminate a healthy tank.

I have ich in my quarantine tank right now and have to be ultra careful not to transmit it to my display tank. That means I never work on my QT before working on my display tank. I keep all equipment separate. And I wash all equipment in bleach water, thoroughly rinse and thoroughly dry it. Just FYI on handling ich. I'm doing heat treatment primarily and supplementing that with Kordon Ich Attack.

Ps. When I say equipment I mean buckets, nets, brushes, algae pads, etc. -- things used to service the tank.

Last edited:
Yes, the ich will get into the new filter, but if the filter is on the tank that's under treatment that's okay. It doesn't matter. It won't make the ich worse. It would only be a problem if the filter is going on a tank that does not have ich and you put ich infected media in it. You don't want to contaminate a healthy tank.

I have ich in my quarantine tank right now and have to be ultra careful not to transmit it to my display tank. That means I never work on my QT before working on my display tank. I keep all equipment separate. And I wash all equipment in bleach water, thoroughly rinse and thoroughly dry it. Just FYI on handling ich. I'm doing heat treatment primarily and supplementing that with Kordon Ich Attack.

Ps. When I say equipment I mean buckets, nets, brushes, algae pads, etc. -- things used to service the tank.

Ok cool. Its really hard to dry the gravel vacuum that I have I use boiling water tho.

Ok cool. Its really hard to dry the gravel vacuum that I have I use boiling water tho.

I dry my gravel vac by hanging it up, but they are hard to get dry on th inside. It takes mine about 4 days to dry. Btw, ich can't survive a thorough drying.

Back
Top Bottom