got a ph tester 2 day and its bad....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nagel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i finally got a ph tester and my tester puts my ph at about 8.7 is that good,bad? and if it is bad how would i lower it?

What do you mean by "pH tester"?
Is it an electronic tester? One of those 'hang in tank' things? pH test strips? A pH test kit with a liquid reagent?

I am interested in how it is being tested but 8.7 is on the high side. I wouldn't try to lower it just yet and definitely do not buy any ph down chemicals.

I'm a former life guard so i went out and bought a ph tester and use that.

nagel said:
I'm a former life guard so i went out and bought a ph tester and use that.

Well, that does not really answer my question. Out of curiosity, what is the connection between a former life guard and a pH tester?

Anyway...
What is the pH of your source water?
What is the pH of your source water after it has gassed out overnight (preferably with a bubbler or something to keep the water moving)?
What kind of substrate is in your tank?
What kind of rocks are in your tank?

The best way to lower pH is by using Peat Moss in your filter and/or mixing your tap water (if the tap water is the issue) with RO water.

I'm confused. Lifeguard, $63 pH test kit.. hmmm.

For $5-10 or so, you can buy a liquid reagent pH test kit at a fish store or online. pH is probably the least important parameter that gets the most attention (for unknown reasons). I'd be interested in validating that pH though, as I've never heard of out of the tap readings of more than 8.2. Regardless, if it's stable, leave it. Just don't get any south american cichlids that only breed in soft acidic water if you want to breed.

yeah its the 5-10 dollar kit your talken bout but its been a the same for 3 days now so i guess its all right and i was going 2 get some tetras for it in the future.

Back
Top Bottom