Got a vertical tank. What fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
We were digging through my friend's garage, and we dug up an aquarium straight out of the 80's. This tank is acrylic with a flourescent orange bottom. I feel like I'm on the set of Miami Vice.

Anyway, this is tank is an equilateral hexagon, and it looks to be about 12" from side to side. The height is about 24". It's about 10 gallons based on comparison to my other 10-gallon tank. I know long tanks are generally better, so the fish can swim from side to side, but beggers can't be choosy. So, I have this tank, but I don't know what kind of fish I can put in it. I was thinking Bettas. I was thinking one male and some females. How many females can I put into a tank this size? Does anyone have any ideas?

Do not put any other bettas with a male betta.
You should be ok with a couple of females together but some can be very aggressive.

That would make a nice guppy tank IMO. You could also put some other livebearers in the tank. Another idea would be to put a school of tetras in.

Well, I watch the way my Platies swim, and I don't think it would be great for livebearers. Maybe I'll try guppies.

Curious, though. How much room would you have to have to keep male Bettas with other Bettas, male or female?

You can't, the male betta will kill another betta. You would have to have a divider.

Two male bettas can't be kept together. They will kill each other. Male and female bettas are not suitable tankmates - they also will most likely kill each other. Different precautions are taken for breeding, but they do not make good tankmates.

I see. I know it's touch and go with all females too, but how much space would you recommend for female Bettas?

The big thing with most aggressive/territorial fish is to break up the field of vision inside the tank. Most fish are much less likely to become aggressive if they do not SEE another fish. If you had caves, large decorations, driftwood, plants, you MIGHT be able to house several female bettas together. I would recommend against this idea, however, but if you choose to do it (it would certiantly be beautiful), just be prepared to either return or remove individuals that don't play nice.

I'd really plan out the design of the tank before even thinking about getting fish. Sounds like the perfect time for a fishless cycle if I do say so myself! :)

I will definitely do the proper cycling if I do attempt to do this. I haven't decided yet. I might just the tank to "age" water for my other tank. How would you go about designing a vertical tank for places to hide? It's not that wide. I would assume that levels could be created somehow, but I don't know how that would work. Any suggestions?

I don't understand your second sentence. I think a word is missing, but as it is I cannot comprehend it. If you mean you'll take some used tank water from your othe tank to cycle it, please read the cycling threads on here as very little bacteria is present in the water. You want substrate/filtermedia.

I would think large gnarly piece(s) of driftwood would work. Probably pretty expensive unless you find your own (I have a weekend project where I'm going to hunt for some near a stream locally). I went to PetSmart this weekend and almost fell on the floor laughing at the pathetic attempt at driftwood. I asked the guy in the fish section and he took me the the amphibian/reptile section where he pointed at what looked to be 4" pieces of scrap pallat wood drilled together, several still with bark on.

I should have told him these were NOT for fish, but didn't want to get into a whole lesson...

I don't know what I was writing there. I will definitely do a full fish cycle. What I haven't decided on was actually setting up this tank. Driftwood, huh? That's not the easiest to come by in Southern California by the ocean, unless someone is aware of something I am not.

It all depends on what look you are going for. Some people want to keep it "natural" looking, while others are more utilitarian and do what gets the job done. I have terra cotta ceramic pots in my tank, so I am in more of the "if it works" camp. Driftwood for the size you need would probably not be cheap, and I have no idea if you can find something suitable near the ocean.

I'm originally from WPB Florida and can remember some large pieces of driftwood (not too attractive however) that would wash up every now and again. It would definately take some work but I bet you could carve a large hunk to your liking...

Thanks for your help so far. I would probably have to do something makeshift since driftwood is not readily available for me, and this tank does have quite a bit of height (2 feet). I'll take a look at some of the other members pictures and see if there's anything that gets my interest.

Back
Top Bottom